Chapter 7: Have Some Fun

"We need reinforcements, especially now that the factory is gone. I think it's time to bring in that monster Kurogiri spoke about."

"What a drag. I'll pass," said Dabi, uninterested.

Twice popped up next to Dabi, waving his hands all over the place as he rambled, "That's not how to be a team player, Dabi. This mission is CRAP! This monster could help us."

"Back off." Dabi conjured balls of fire circling him to push twice away. "It's too much work."

Shigaraki points to Midoriya. "Then watch over Izuku. We will join you later tonight."

"Whatever."

Midoriya looked up at Dabi from the corner of his eye to gauge the man's feelings on his new task. Unable to read him, he looked back at the rest of the group as they began to leave. Toga waved goodbye to Midoriya, assuring him she'd come back to him, and he shyly replied with his own wave. Midoriya looked up at Dabi.

"So where should we go?"

"Don't know. I just don't want to deal with that monster." Dabi stood there, bored, as he replied.

Midoriya didn't know what to do as the two stood in silence. Dabi sensed Midoriya's apprehension and pulled him along by the back of his head.

"Dabi?! Um- Where are we going?"

"You ask a lot of questions."

"Ah! Sorry!"

"Don't worry about it."

Before long they arrived at a bar. Midoriya stopped in his tracks as Dabi opened the door.

"But I'm only 18. I'm underage."

"You don't have to drink. I told you I'd arrange for you to eat a proper meal, remember? This is one of the few places we can go to get food and stay out of sight."

As Midoriya entered, he noticed a few shady characters throughout the bar. No one made a move, but they all kept their eyes on Dabi and Midoriya. Dabi didn't seem to care. He ordered their food, a glass of whiskey for himself, and then sat down before propping his feet up on the table.

"Um- Don't you feel like people are staring?"

"They know not to bother us. Just eat your food when it gets here like those other people don't exist."

As Midoriya went to respond, a plate of steak and vegetables were placed in front of him. He could feel himself salivating at the sight.

"Just eat it already."

At Dabi's words, Midoriya dug in excitedly. It'd been over a month since he'd had a real meal, and even longer since he had steak. Dabi watched as Midoriya eagerly devoured his food. Once Midoriya calmed down, he could feel Dabi's eyes on him.

Looking up from his food, Midoriya asks, "Is something wrong?"

"No. I'm just wondering, after all you've been through, how do you keep up that sense of justice?"

"Twice is pretty upbeat and protective too, don't you think?"

"He's his own kind of messed up. You on the other hand seem to keep a hold on your ideals. You even care about the people who hurt you... right?"

Midoriya didn't know how to respond and started eating again to earn some time to think.

"Like those classmates. That's why you held back," accused Dabi as he placed his glass on the table.

Midoriya paused. For some reason he couldn't look at Dabi as he answered, "...even though they used to treat me like that, they still came looking for me." A knot formed in Midoriya's stomach. There was shame in caring for people who used and abused you. He knew this, but he couldn't help himself.