Chapter 22: Move Forward

The scene behind Midoriya lit the night sky as he ran far from the villains. Everything in sight seemed to glow that beautiful blue as the flames spread to the surrounding forest. The same blue as the eyes he so easily got lost in.

Everything went silent. Midoriya could feel the ground beneath his feet. He kept a hold on the twins on his back, and he could feel Yuya's tears soaking into his sleeve. However, he couldn't hear anything. His body moved forward, but his mind remained trapped. Was there something he could have done differently? Should he have stayed? This was the only option, right? Could things have been different? Would Dabi still be alive if Midoriya hadn't fallen in love with him? Was this his fault?

"Izuku! Look, there's people up ahead!" shouted Yuya.

Heroes! The eruption must have alerted them. As Midoriya neared the approaching heroes, he could make out some of the local heroes along with more familiar faces like Endeavor and Mr. Aizawa. Beyond his teacher, he saw two figures struggling to get past.

"Todoroki! Kacchan!"

Not even bothering to acknowledge the heroes, Midoriya raced past, jumping into the arms of the two people who were there for him the most the last few months. He wrapped an arm around each of their necks, pulling them close.

"How'd you guys know I was here?" asked Midoriya.

Todoroki returned the hug with a hand on Midoriya's arm as he answered. "They were sloppier this time when they kidnapped you. One of the guards they attacked was able to give some information that led us to this city. Then the explosion drew us here."

"How many times do you plan to get captured this year, you shitty nerd?!" shouted Bakugou.

"You can't talk, Bakugou. You were kidnapped once too," said Todoroki.

"Shut up! And how long until you tell us why these brats are with you?!"

"You've got stinky breath," said Yuta as he scrunched up his nose at Bakugou.

Midoriya looked over his shoulder, suddenly remembering his extra baggage. Each twin was clutching his shoulders for dear life, nearly nose to nose with Bakugou and Todoroki. Midoriya jumped back, gently crouching down to let them off.

"I'm so sorry kids! I was just so happy to find help that I just-"

"Forgot we were here," said Yuta.

"Shush! Let Izu be happy for a minute," said Yuya.

"Give me that brat! Someone's got to teach him a lesson!" shouted Bakugou. Midoriya nervously smiled at his childhood friend, trying to think of how to refuse the demand.

"Midoriya," said Mr. Aizawa, "we need you to tell us everything that happened."

Flashes of the last 24 hours obstructed all the adrenaline keeping Midoriya stable. He nodded, knowing he couldn't avoid it forever. Midoriya gave his teacher the basic rundown of the situation, leaving out some of the more private conversations he had with Dabi.

Containing the fire and the following investigation were left to the pro-heroes. Although Midoriya wanted to stay in hopes of hearing how the situation ended up, he realized it'd be impossible to know what happened for sure. Dabi's power was so intense it would have incinerated everything, including himself. So, he didn't argue when Mr. Aizawa told him to follow them back to the police station for a report. Todoroki gently rubbed Midoriya's back, leading him towards the police car, but Midoriya stopped in his tracks when he heard Yuya sobbing and Yuta screaming for someone to let go of his sister.

"What's going on?!" asked Midoriya, running over to the police officer gripping Yuya's tiny wrist.

"We need to take these children to the station, but they are struggling."