Chapter 17: Night with the Bros

"I can go outside?"

A sleepy Mr. Aizawa and a grinning All-Might stood in front of Midoriya in his room, telling him something he didn't expect. His friends gave reports on their visits and Midoriya's state. Once they were all reviewed, the authorities and teachers agreed it was okay for Midoriya to go on supervised walks.

"You will have two heroes attending the walks as well, to defend you in case of an attack, but yes, you may go outside."

"Isn't this great, young Midoriya? You'll be able to leave your room for the first time in weeks."

"Yes! Thank you!"

"You must maintain vigilance though, Problem Child. And you must stay with your guards no matter what. Understand?"

"Yes sir."

All-Might gave a thumbs up as he followed Mr. Aizawa down the hall, making Midoriya smile. A hand rested on Midoriya's shoulder, and he looked back to see the shark-toothed grin of Kirishima.

"Hey! What's up Midobro? It's been a while since I've seen you out of your room."

"Yeah! Mr. Aizawa just gave me permission to leave my room as long as I have the guards escorting me."

"That's great! Congratulations! By the way, remember it's my and Kaminari's turn to visit you this evening, so look forward to it! We've got a killer new game we've been dying to show you."

"That sounds like fun. I'll definitely look forward to it!"

Kirishima's energy seemed so infectious to Midoriya as he saw the redhead run off. His situation felt like a weird dream. Each of his classmates took time to keep him company. Despite being confined in a single room so long, he barely had time to himself.

Todoroki and Bakugou still took turns staying in Midoriya's room at night, but his evenings were spent laughing and going over what he was missing in class with the rest of his friends. Friends. The word seemed so foreign and fragile until recently. His heart fluttered, knowing he had so many people who cared about him. Then his heart crashed. The family he found in the league still stung his heart. Uraraka was right. It would take time before he could come to terms with his own feelings.

Midoriya smiled at the guards as they approached him. He decided to put those feelings behind him for the rest of the day. It had been weeks since he had fresh air, and he was going to enjoy every second of this walk.

That night, Kaminari burst in with his usual dorky swagger, pointing his fingers at Midoriya as he exclaimed his arrival. Kirishima walked in right behind him, holding the new game in the air. After a couple hours of loud and rowdy competition between the three boys, they finally conceded the win to Kirishima.

"Midobro, today was your first time outside in a while. How was it?"

"It was nice to get out of this room, but it can be awkward to be followed around by two pros that don't even talk to you."

"Yeah. That sounds nerve wracking."

"Hey! I know! We should all sleep in here tonight. We barely get to see you, and we can play more."

"That'd be fun but it's Kacchan's turn tonight. I feel like he'd get mad if I-"

"What about Bakugou?"

"You know, to stay the night."

"WHAT?!"

"Kamibro, calm down."

"Wait- You knew? How come I didn't know?!"

"Because you and Mina can't control yourselves," said Kirishima

"Well, at least I'm not the only one. Wait, you said it was Bakugou's turn. Who else sleeps over?"

"Todoroki."

"I can't believe he's sharing at all considering how possessive of you he is."

"Possessive?"

"You should see him going off about-" Kirishima covered Kaminari's mouth, trying to figure out how to change the subject, but Midoriya's interest was peaked. He pulled on Kirishima's arm to free Kaminari.

"What were you saying?"

"W-well..." started Kaminari, suddenly realizing he wasn't supposed to talk about such things. "Just don't tell Bakugou I told you." Midoriya nodded. "Well, he gets extra irritated when he's hung out with us at night. I guess that must be the nights Todoroki is sleeping over. That would make sense!"

"Anyway, Bakubro is just scared you'll be stolen away," interjected Kirishima.

"I don't get any of this. I mean, sure he's shown interest lately, but before he only ever yelled at me. He hated me."

"That's just Bakubro. He wouldn't have acted that way towards you if he didn't care at all, you know?"

"It's like that saying! There's a thin line between love and hate!" said Kaminari.

"Seriously?" asked Kirishima. Kaminari looked between an exhausted Kirishima and a worried Midoriya. Kirishima broke the tension by speaking to Midoriya.

"Bakubro probably will be here soon, so let me say one last thing. I know how much he cares for you. Please, just think about it." Before Midoriya could answer, the door slammed against the wall.

"The hell! You extras still here?!"

"We were just leaving," said Kirishima with his usual toothy grin.

"Yeah, we're not sneaking around like some people-" A strong hand gripped Kaminari's collar.

"What do you think will happen if I create a spark right now?"

"I won't say anything! I promise!"

Bakugou shoved him out into the hall before slamming the door behind him. He looked down at the small man sitting on the floor, his bright green eyes staring deep into his, obviously pondering deeply about something. However, Bakugou was too tired to dive into something so troublesome, so he grabbed onto his nerd, throwing him into bed.

Bakugou slid into bed, and turned his back to Midoriya. Midoriya knew Bakugou went to sleep earlier than this normally, but he had been waiting so Midoriya could spend time with their classmates. Bakugou wasn't much for talking, but it made it hard to bring up things Midoriya was concerned with. He had promised to keep what Kaminari told him a secret, so he turned away from his childhood friend to sleep.

Days passed by joyfully for Midoriya. The weather was clear and beautiful during his daily walks. His friends continued their diligent visits. Midoriya's memories were finally becoming clear. Even so, that still did not erase the time he spent with Dabi or the others.

Midoriya looked up at the blue sky, the same color as that man's eyes. He continued following the guard in front of him as he daydreamed. It was obviously better here, he thought, so why did he yearn to go back? He shook his head, trying to discard the memories tugging at his heart. 

With every day he stayed with his friends, the clearer his memories of his classmates got. As Uraraka said, he should find a new love, and he had two people who loved him. Well, Uraraka had an obvious favorite, but was that the person he wanted? Falling deeper in thought, he tried to picture who he watched most over his time as a UA student: Todoroki or Bakugou. That blue iris flashed in his mind again. No! He couldn't let himself think of that beautiful blue. As he was thinking this, the escort behind him wrapped their arms around him.

"Wha-," squeaked Midoriya.

"Hi Izuku~! I've missed you!" said the deep, gruff voice of the guard.

"Toga?!"