Present Day

"I feel that we're going really slowly," the presenter admits. "And that, at this rate, we'll never shine light on the mistery."

"Well, if the light did shine on the Dormitory girl," Logar says, talking of Sveta's book. "Then it can surely illuminate those of us who are a bit better off."

"Gee, thanks," Sveta replies. She doesn't know why, even after all those years, Logar doesn't treat her like he used to treat Jonath Cincinnati. From the time she'd broken his trust, other moments came along when the two had found a way to remain best friends.

But ever since someone framed Logar for The Anti's death, and it sure as hell wasn't Sveta, it seemed as if Logar had started not to trust his old friends anymore.

"If anyone has something to confess," Percie says. "Maybe they should just say it now."

"Well, Ane isn't here," Logar replies. "Maybe she did kill her old man. Daddy issues."

"And Jonath isn't here either," Percie replies. An inside joke. They always play pretend, in front of the public, that Jonath Cincinnati really exists and that he's the sniper.

Sveta is aware, somewhere in her soul, that Jonath exists just as much as she does. And most of the time, she misses him and she wishes she was... well, not exactly him, but certainly some kind of cross-over between the two. She is impatient to stay Sveta for so long, when she stopped wanting to be years ago.

But she'd promised to herself that she would get Logar Iris out of prison before she could selfishly think about her own problems. They were dealing with scandal, ruined reputations and murder. Surely the thought of who she was and how she dressed could remain what it was -- just a thought.

However, Sveta had always liked her curly hair shorter, the way Jonath had it. So, she was sporting a dark pixie cut and her clothes verged more on the masculine. She'd lost weight during the weeks at the Monastery, and in six years she'd never put it back on. Though Logar always used to joke that they were all sick and skinny because they were traumatized. Logar himself had never gained a pound since Sveta had met him.

"You see, what we're doing, is make you run around in circles," Logar tells the presenter, putting his boots on the table in front of him. "We rather like it, watching the others spin in their little hamster wheels. You know I will not admit having killed the President, because I never pleaded guilty in six years time. And you know Sveta isn't going to say it because if she'd been a killer, she wouldn't have pulled this in the first place. She would have just told everyone."

"There's me," Percie says.

"You're Percie Tolkien, Percie please," Logar replies. "You don't have it in you to harm anyone."

Neither have you, Sveta thinks, but she's destroyed Logan somehow. Though she can't remember how.

And she grows more confident she would have never done it. She'd lead two lives, and Logar had been her best friend in each of them.