chapter 23

They made it back to Alex's room. Lorenzo was the one to knock. It confused Skye why her brothers always knocked instead of walking straight in. Alex and James also were confused why they knocked.

The triplets didn't understand why their brothers never just walked in.

Alex opened it and as soon as he saw Skye with Lorenzo he got annoyed. The man was obviously planning something, he saw the man to have some sort of bad intentions, there was no way he wasnt acting.

"Dinner is ready" Lorenzo stated.

"Why are you with him" Alex asked Skye ignoring Lorenzo. He felt a little hurt that she kept going to him rather than James and himself.

"Why does it matter" Skye said not wanting the truth to come out.

Alex didn't reply not wanting to anger Lorenzo but Lorenzo decided he wasn't to happy with how much hatred Alex used when asking why she was him.

"Have you got a problem with me" he asked.

"Yes. I don't trust you or even like you"

James had now come to the door and Skye couldn't help but move closer to James. She really didn't want to be near Lorenzo if he lashed out. She was trying to trust Lorenzo but at the same time she only really truly trusted James and Alex.

"And why is that" Lorenzo asked, part of him hoped he would get a confession out of Alex.

"It doesn't really matter why. In fact I don't just dislike you, I hate you"

Lorenzo was hurt by the statement. Of all his siblings, if they had told him that, he doubted it would have hurt him as much as Alex did.

And of course it pissed him off slightly. Of course he cared what Alex thought of him, more than his other siblings.

"I don't really care what you think Alexander. I am going to say this again, we ask for respect in the house and I won't tolerate such comments. You're insulting me without a reason. Father may ask for respect but I demand it. You will show me respect"

James instinctly pulled Skye closer and wrapped his arm around her.

Alex knew not to say anything more. He wasn't going to risk Skye and James.

"I apologize sir" Alex replied.

"Fine, again it's Lorenzo. Now let's go downstairs "  he replied.

The triplets were confused at how quickly he dismissed Alex's actions.

"Aren't you going to um...I disrespected you so why aren't you..." Alex stated as he followed Lorenzo. He couldn't get the words out.

Lorenzo had a sickening feeling about what he was trying to ask.

This was another example of his thoughts that they had been abused were true.

"James, Skye go downstairs, we will be there shortly" 

James and Skye wanted to protest thinking the worst but Alex practically forced them to go downstairs.

As he stood face to face with Lorenzo waiting for him to attack him. It never came and so when he properly looked up and saw Lorenzo not looking angry at all it confused him.

"I understand you have your own opinion on me, however what I don't like is that you insult me without even sharing the reason. At least provide me with a reason to hate me"  Lorenzo started.

Alex didn't know how to reply. Lorenzo saw this and decided to continue.

"Believe it or not Alexander but you used to follow me around, you wanted to be just like me" Lorenzo said a smile on his face as he thought back to a younger Alex.

"Guess it's a good thing I no longer want to be anything like you" Alex stated.

Lorenzo sighed, he still saw bits of him in Alex's personality.

"I know it's hard for you, you have always protected them even when you were a toddler. But Alex you're still a child, you deserve to have a childhood instead of constantly worrying about them"

Alex didn't know how to have a childhood. He had spent 10 years protecting Skye and James from them. He had no memories of a life before that time.

"You are just a child, you need to do child stuff, make friends, play soccer, have fun. I understand it's hard for you but I promise you this, Im going to help you act more like a child and I'm always going to be here for you, James and Skye"

Alex was struggling not to break down. His words were so sincere and so meaningful that Alex believed them.

"And Alexander,  the question you were trying to ask me. I know how scared you are of it happening. But I will never lay a hand on you or Skye and James"

Lorenzo looked carefully at Alex after saying this, hoping to get something out of him that would confirm for sure.

"I didn't ask if you would, why did you say it"

"Its what you wanted to ask" Lorenzo said.

"I didn't get the chance to ask though. How do you know" Alex became defensive quickly thinking Lorenzo worked with the men, that he was just like them. He started to back away looking around for an exit.

"Alexander I promise you I won't hurt you" Lorenzo said firmly.

Alex stepped away further not trusting the man "you're lying"

Lorenzo shook his head "I'm not lying. Just trust me for a moment, okay? Then you can hate me and not trust me after if you want okay" he said coming up with a idea.

Alex didn't have much choice so he nodded "fine" he whispered.

Lorenzo carefully stepped closer, he noticed Alex wincing and flinch away, he didn't comment on it though, instead he pulled Alex into a hug.
Alex was still. He didn't know how to react. Apart from James and Skye he had never had this before. He didn't know what to do. It was very rare they indicated the hug too.

"I won't hurt you" Lorenzo repeated still hugging him.

"I won't hurt you ever Alexander" Lorenzo repeated.

Alex couldn't help it. He wanted this to be true he really did so for a moment the walls he had built up crumbled away and he slowly hugged Lorenzo. He was desperate for it to be true.

Lorenzo tightened his hold on the boy. He had missed Alex more than he would ever care to admit. Alex held onto Lorenzo tighter allowing himself to be comforted.

"I'm always here for you" Lorenzo said not letting go of the boy.

Alex nodded. He now had tears running down his face. He had never experienced this before and he wanted it to last.

After a moment Lorenzo was going to pull away but Alex wasn't ready for things to go back to normal "just a little longer, please?" Lorenzo said nothing but wrapped his arms back around Alex.

After several minutes Alex pulled away and was quick to wipe his eyes Lorenzo saw how he built his walls back up.

"You're safe now Alexander"