Chapter 2: From far away, I wish you would only look at me

"Are we still friends?"

I met Heemin at my old school when we were around 12. I wasn't popular, and neither was he. Every morning he had new bandages concealing his frail body. We were both types of people that others wouldn't bother to talk to them.

I often observed him. It brought me comfort to not be the only one that was alone.

I was walking by his classroom, and I heard this sobbing sound. I looked inside and realized it was him. He was on the floor, sobbing like nothing else in the world mattered.

I hesitated for a second. Then opened the door and went in carefully to not scare him.

I collected myself, then I said, "Are you alright?"

He laughed hysterically. He laughed, and he was crying. It surprised me. I wanted to laugh too because it was awkward but I didn't want to laugh at a person who was crying.

"I'm not," Heemin said, wiping his uncontrollable tears away with the back of his hand. "I'm not alright. I feel so messed up like I don't know what to do with myself. Why did you even come here?"

At this point, I was sweating profusely all of my water intake for that day.

I stuttered out: "I don't know. I just felt like you needed someone to talk to...?"

Heemin looked blankly at me and replied, "Why would you think that?"

I wasn't sure what to say and we sat in silence for a moment before he stated: "Thank you for your concern."

"Can I sit down?" I proposed to him, motioning to the chair next to him. He only nodded and continued to stare out at the desolate room in front of him.

"How are you feeling?" I was saying anything that came to mind.

A sob escaped his throat before he put his hands up over his eyes and let out a gut-wrenching scream into them. It worried me more than anything else that's happened because people do that when they're about to break or when they're about to turn violent. At least I think so.

He looks up at me with his teary eyes and says: "You look happy." and: "You're so lucky to be happy."

"Umm... Wha-"

"Do you know how hard it is for me, sometimes?" And then tells me, "I always have days like this."

A sense of wanting to cry started to creep into my eyes.

"This is so stupid... Everyone is so stupid." he then abruptly looks at me.

"Why... Why are you crying?"

By caressing my face, I realize I am indeed crying.

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry." I sob hysterically.

"S-Sorry?" he smiles unexpectantly. This smile actually seems genuine. "What are you sorry for?" he giggled.

"Because I'm crying..." I sniff, while I try to conceal my face with my shirt sleeve.

"Hahaha! That's hilarious!" he started to laugh maniacally while he nudges my shoulder for support.

"Listen," he forcefully grips my wrist into his hand so he can observe my face. "I'm quite surprised you're so entertaining."

I examine his eyes, "E-Entertaining?"

"Yeah!" he grins, "I haven't laughed like that in years!"

"Oh... At least I made you happy...?"

"Hmm..." he's intensely looking at my face at the point of making me uncomfortable. "What's your name again?"

"Hooni, Lee Hooni." at this point all of the evidence of me crying promptly disappeared from my face.

"Hooni. Okay, Hooni! We are friends now, okay?"

"Friends?"

"Yeah, friends."

I redden at the thought he wants to be my friend. "O-Okay!"

That was the promising beginning of our friendship and the opening of my misery.