Chapter 11: Why the waving flowers bloom

The brightening sunrise rouses me with a terrible body ache.

The emotional exhaustion I feel is unbearable.

The nurses check on my condition, prescribe me medication, and then leave.

The fact that someone tends to me, although it's their job, is comforting.

It's been a while since I felt like this.

But it feels so comforting.

I groan and fasten my eyes. It's rather pathetic how I reacted.

I wonder if Heemin knows about this.

He wouldn't have a way to know.

And I don't know if I desire him to know or not.

He would probably laugh.

I don't comprehend why I'm thinking about this again.

I haven't thought about him in years.

I merely wanted to know if he was okay or not.

I don't know why I still cared.

I solely did.

I don't appreciate why I'm thinking about him at all.

Soorim stops my self-pity and enters my room with an affectionate smile.

"Hi, Hooni. I hope you slept properly."

"No, not really."

"I figured" he lets out a nervous chuckle. "I bought you some sweets from the store; my mom forced me to make you feel better."

Soorim dumps a convenience bag full of junk food onto my blanket. I nearly want to cry.

"Thanks, I appreciate it..." I look at the food and feel greedy, but I devote my attention to Soorim.

"Soorim, can you tell me something about Heemin?" I asked feebly.

"Heemin...?" he looks sad about my question. "Hooni, don't worry about him anymore..."

"Don't tell me what to do," I reply firmly. "I just want to know if he had a way to know about this."

"Umm... I don't think so. Unless he lives nearby. I don't know him well, so I don't know where he lives. Sorry."

"It's okay, this situation is just embarrassing."

"It's not embarrassing, I know you have been unwell for a while. I'm sorry I didn't help you enough."

I tear up. "Don't say that..."

"Let's not cry today okay?" Soorim says. "I want to make you happy. I bought you some chocolates. Here."

Soorim takes out a small chocolate from the pile and transmits it to me. I seize it. It's delicious.

"Thanks."

After 2 weeks of being hospitalized, the day comes when I'm released from the hospital.

Soorim meets me at the door. I'm delighted to be discharged from the hospital. "How are you feeling?" he asks.

"Much better, I can't believe I was there for that long," I say while we start walking along the street.

"Yeah, I thought you'd be staying longer."

I'm taken aback by his statement. "Why?"

"You know... because you are sick."

"I'm better now."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know. I thought you could stay longer."

"Why would you think that?"

Soorim doesn't reply.

"Soorim?"

"I... I don't know."

"What?"

"I thought... You were going to stay."

Soorim's face is as crimson as a tomato.

"Sorry. I'm just really stressed out." I say concerned.

"Yeah... you kept telling me that. I'm sorry. I just thought you could stay longer."

"I know, it's my fault."

"No, I should have explained better. You were sick. I didn't think you could get worse."

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I just wanted you to know I care for you, Hooni," he says genuinely.

"I care for you too. I just don't want you to get hurt because of me."

"I won't. I promise."

Soorim and I continue walking along the sidewalk. Soorim doesn't state anything. I don't know if I should note anything either. We both continue to be silent. I'm thinking of something to say, something important, but I can't seem to remember anything. I'll merely have to wing it.

"Soorim?"

"Yeah, Hooni?"

"You're... cool, right?"

"Huh? I don't understand."

"You... I mean... you're not like other guys. You're... you're cool."

"Thanks, Hooni."

"I'm not trying to be cool; it's just, I think you're cool. So I was wondering if you were cool. If you get what I mean."

Soorim laughs. It's a genuine, organic sound. I'm contented to see him smile.

"I get what you mean."

"Good."

We continue walking. Soorim and I share a quiet, peaceful silence. The two of us do nothing but want to be quiet. I could talk for hours, but I don't grasp what to mention. I wish I could talk to Soorim about anything.

"Soorim?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm glad I met you."

"Me too, Hooni."