11 | light years

Haven waits for me by the cafeteria doors the following day during lunch period, just as she has since I first began attending this school

It's strange–how quickly I am becoming accustomed to her presence in my life. I'm not used to this whole having a friend thing, but the situation feels different with Haven. She's not like anyone I've known before. I feel like I've known her a split second yet light years all at once.

With every detail I learn about her, I begin to feel as if I'm starting to really know her. But every new piece of information leaves me dying for more, my soul aching to know hers on a deeper level. I'm starting to understand her, but I don't quite understand enough. She is intriguing to me in a way I can hardly explain, like an enigma I wish to spend my entire life trying to make sense of. She is beautiful and interesting and enthralling—her existence a rabbit hole I feel myself slowly starting to fall deeper into, becoming wonderfully lost in all that she is.

There was life before Haven, and now there is life with Haven, and I've never become so used to such a big change as easily as I have with her.

"Hey," Haven greets warmly, as is typical of her. It's as if gentleness just comes as naturally to her as breathing, as if her soul is made of nothing but sparklers and moon beams. She's grinning. When she smiles, she is comparable to the sun. Radiant and warm. A little ball of fire, my very own star lighting up my dark night soul.

"Hi," I retort shyly, as per usual. She makes me nervous, though pleasantly soul. She fills my stomach with the good kind of butterflies, leaving me a mess in the best of ways. I'm smiling, too. She has a tendency to make me do so.

"No courtyard today," Haven mutters with a little pout as we join sides, aimlessly walking about. "It's pouring."

I glance out of the window as we enter the cafeteria side-by-side. She's right. It's storming like hell outside, with rain drops battering against the window panes and lightning strikes illuminating the gloomy gray sky.

I follow after Haven as she guides me to an empty table. I take a seat by her side, realizing that it is just the two of us. For a moment, I had wondered if Haven would take this opportunity to introduce me to some other friends of hers. I have yet to see her interact with anyone but me and her brother and a few of his friends, besides small talk here and there with some classmates. Surely she has other friends. Everyone she does encounter seems to love her–and I can't blame them. She has an aura that is addicting and comforting; being around Haven is like stumbling upon a cozy fireplace after being stranded in a forever winter.

I wonder why she keeps coming back to me, when she could choose anyone else to keep by her side.

Not that I mind being fortunate enough to marvel in her presence. Selfishly, I like having Haven to myself. I like having her to go to whenever I please, even if she is the only semi-friend I have made since moving here. For now, Haven is enough. Deep down, I think she always will be.