33 | waves

The following Friday, I meet Haven in the parking lot once the final bell has rang

Nowadays, it has become a typical part of my routine for Haven to give me a ride home rather than having to catch the bus. Obviously, I much prefer this.

Haven beams at me as I slide into the passenger seat of her car and close the door, tugging at my safety belt before catching her eye. For a moment, I pick up on nothing more than her knee-weakening, radiant smile. Upon a closer look, I recognize the gleam in her eye and the way her lip curls smugly. I know instantly that she's up to something.

"What is it?" I break once Haven begins to back out of her parking spot, unable to take her knowing smile and smug silence any longer.

Haven shrugs as she turns her attention to the road before us. "I don't know what you're talking about."

I release a snort. "Please. You have that look on your face. What's up?"

Haven purses her lips thoughtfully. "And what look are you talking about?"

"That I'm up to something look you get when you think you have a great idea," I retort. "So tell me what you're up to."

Haven grins. She bites down on her bottom lip as she makes a left turn. "Just giving my girlfriend a ride home," she muses, playing oblivious.

I furrow my eyebrows as I stare down the side of her face. "I'd almost believe you, if you didn't make the wrong turn to get to my house."

Haven chuckles smugly to herself. "Oh. Did I? I didn't notice."

I roll my eyes out of exasperation. "Haven, seriously. What are you doing?"

Haven sighs, as if my badgering is so very annoying. She rolls the windows down as she drives, and soon our hair is flying around our shoulders every which way as the autumn air ripples through the vehicle.

"I can't tell you," Haven finally admits. I shake my head as I lean back in the passenger seat, unsatisfied with this answer. "But," Haven continues, still boasting that smug smile she wears, "I can tell you that both of our parents are aware of where we're going and they gave us permission. Does that make you feel any better?"

"Not really," I mumble, though I'm mostly teasing. I don't mind a little trip with Haven–I'd follow her anywhere, after all. However, I'm not a huge fan of being kept in the dark.

"Just trust me," Haven says, taking one hand off of the wheel and extending it to me. "You'll like this."

She glances over her shoulder for a moment to hold my stare. I melt when I gaze into those clear-sky eyes of hers, my resolve fading as I become lost in the gentleness of her smile. She knows how to make me comply. Of course I trust her. I'd lay my life in her hands.

So I obey her command and stop asking questions. I get comfortable in my seat and hold Haven's hand as she drives, running my thumb in circles over the back of her palm. I gaze out of the window as the wind roars through the vehicle, the chill to the air only slightly aggravating my vision. I sing along to the songs I know as the radio blasts, taking in the moment as we drive.