27 | chaotic storms

Haven occupying the passenger seat nearly makes it impossible to keep my eyes on the road

Despite it being long past nightfall, Haven insists on driving with the windows down. Her skillfully done hair soon turns into a tangled mess as the breeze whips through her waves, tossing the silky strands around her shoulders every which way. She sings along to every song that plays, blasting music as we drive down sleepy, remote roads to kill time before we inevitably have to return home.

I don't want the night to end. I dread the moment we will have to turn this car around. For the first time in forever, I am fine. Really, truly okay. More than okay. I am happy. I'm not ready to return to reality. I long to stay in this moment forever, with Haven at my side, carefree and content, running from the real world.

A clap of thunder startles me from my daydreaming. I flinch, nearly jerking the wheel as I do. I turn to Haven in shock, surprised to find her unphased by the sudden noise.

"Is it supposed to storm tonight?" I question.

Haven shrugs, as if the thought of getting caught in a downpour is unconcerning to her.

"Should I turn around?" I suggest. It kills me to even offer, as allowing the night to end is the last thing I want to do. However, I know it would be a smart decision to make it home safely before the rain has a chance to sweep us up.

Haven pouts as she faces me. "Not yet," she whines. "I want a little longer like this. Just me and you." Her fingertips run circles against my thigh. I bite down on my lip. She knows I'll do whatever she says. I have never before considered this fact to be a curse.

Haven leans across the center console until she is close enough that I can feel her breath warm against my neck, strands of her hair tickling my skin.

"You should pull over," she whispers to me. Haven's wish is my command, and I am soon slowing the car to a stop before parking the vehicle in a small clearing just off the side of the road.

The moment I turn to face Haven, the sky falls apart before my eyes. Another clap of thunder erupts, followed by a jolt of bright lightning. Then I witness the angels above crying as raindrops the size of hail assault the ground, rattling against the metal hood of the car.

"Shit," I curse beneath my breath. "Maybe we should have–"

Haven presses a finger to my lips, effectively shushing me. I widen my eyes to communicate, as use of my lips has since been stolen.

Unaffected by the angry, dangerous weather around us, Haven leans in close to me. "I don't want to go home yet," she whispers against my lips.

My resolve gives way to her power. I feel the fight draining from my veins the second her lips touch mine, soft and gentle, the taste leaving me wanting more. I lose my hands in Haven's hair as I pull her closer, the world fading to nothing more than background noise as I kiss her.