22 | the past

The first home game of the football season will be accompanied by the homecoming dance

Haven has expressed an excitement about this dance unlike any I've ever seen from her before. Her eyes glitter when she speaks of the event, though she never gives away the reason as to why she is so filled with mirth. I deduce her anticipation as being due to the fact that this will be her last high school homecoming dance, considering this is her senior year.

Whatever the reason, I know that I have to go all out in asking her to be my date. After the effort Haven put forward to ask me to be her girlfriend (though her idea definitely did not turn out as planned, it is merely the thought that counts), I know I have to do something just as special for her in return.

"You're still riding with me, right?" Haven questions, breaking me from my thoughts. She closes her locker and runs a hand through her hair before her gaze falls on mine, one eyebrow raised in question.

I purse my lips. Instantly, Haven groans.

"We were supposed to hang out at my place today," Haven pouts. Her big blue eyes go all wide when she does, making her offer nearly impossible to decline.

I do my best to express remorse. "I know," I say gently. "It's just . . . Mom needs my help with something today. I'm really sorry."

Haven's eyebrows furrow for an instant, a suspicious gleam glowing in her gaze. I sense she does not buy my shitty excuse, though she does not call me out on this. Sighing, Haven turns away from me as she murmurs, "Okay. But you better call me."

I exhale a laugh. "Duh."

She smiles and waves before retreating down the hallway. I remain standing in place until I can no longer make out her silhouette. Only when I am sure she is gone do I risk turning around and wandering the opposite way, excitement coursing through my veins at the thought of what I have planned.

·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙ ✩ *̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙

I am curled up on the couch and scrolling through my phone when I get a notification from Snapchat about a memory from five years ago today.

Mindlessly, I open the app and load the video. I am stricken instantly as the image of my father fills the screen. He is laughing as he drives, shaking his head about some song I am playing over the stereo.

For a moment, I am hit with the realization that I have forgotten what his laugh sounded like. It has been so long since I have heard it now, I no longer recall my own father's voice.

The video loops over and over, yet I make no move to stop it from playing. I am simply frozen, my eyes glued to the screen, transfixed despite my despair. It is only as my mind clears from my pained haze and the sound of Dad's laughter echoes around in the silence surrounding me that I snap. One second, I am numb. The next I am comparable to a dam that has been broken, helpless to the tears creating streams down my cheeks. My tears are gentle at first, a silent sort of weeping. Then I am a newborn, my wails inconsolable as my body falls prey to the strength that comes with the kind of pain that breaks your heart and stains your soul.