41 | constant

It is dark by the time I return home and Haven's car is long gone

I knew she would have left by now, as she has not stopped blowing up my phone since I bolted after she dropped me off earlier. Yet a part of me had still been hoping, wishing, praying that maybe when I stumbled upon my driveway, she would still be here.

I cannot explain what came over me once I got out of her car. All I knew was that I had to get away from everything. I needed a moment to simply exist. After all, it is in my nature to hide from what causes pain. I ran through the neighborhood until my lungs felt as though they would explode and my body physically could no longer keep moving. Coming to a halt, I found myself at the neighborhood lake. I then sat on a bench facing the water, wordlessly watching the water ripple. Overwhelmed by the silence surrounding me whilst inside was a storm of noisy chaos, I screamed and I cried until my voice turned hoarse and I could not produce any more tears.

I did not think the entire walk home. Nor did I feel. I just . . . was. I am still nothing more than numb as I trek up my driveway, fumbling with the doorknob before entering my house like a zombie.

I am instantly met by my mother. She sits at the kitchen island facing the front door, expression pensive. I know by the numerous missed calls I have received (and ignored) from her that she has been awaiting my arrival. She jumps out of her seat at the sight of me, relief washing over her features. Despite seeming somewhat reassured to see my, Mom does not hesitate to rush into an interrogation as to where I have been and why I have not answered a single one of her calls and how she was so worried about me–all of that motherly shit I can't stand to deal with right now.

My blood turns cold at the sight of my mother and suddenly I am feeling again, everything all at once, and none of it good.

"Where the hell have you been?" Mom cries as she crosses her arms out of frustration, marching my way with purpose. "And don't even say with Haven, because I know good and well that you–"

"You knew!" I don't even realize I have yelled until I hear my own voice echoing around the large room.

I do not for a second doubt the weight of my accusation. I did a lot of mulling over these last few weeks as I cried on that stupid bench, and I am certain Mom knew about Haven's injury. This suspicion was confirmed when I replayed our previous argument days ago, when Mom had discreetly mentioned that I shouldn't rely so heavily on Haven for happiness. Her words had not been a suggestion, but a warning. I know that now.

Mom stills before me. It is as if my words have had the effect of a slap to the cheek. Confusion seeps into her angered features as she eyes me, halting her movements. Realization soon seems to dawn on her, as her expression crumples with undeniable understanding.

I feel sick.

"You knew this whole time," I whisper, hardly able to talk over the lump forming in my throat. I feel overwhelmed, suddenly overcome with so much pain all at once. "And you didn't say anything?"