21 | space

Haven asks me to accompany her on our first official date as a couple

Obviously, I eagerly accept the offer. She keeps whatever plans she has made a secret throughout the week, despite my constant badgering her during school days. When the night we had agreed on finally rolls around and I climb into Haven's passenger seat, I find myself curiously anticipating where she will take me.

I think of the typical dates I have experienced in the past. Going out to dinner, catching a movie, strolling around the city . . . I try to picture Haven at my side during such simple ordeals and cannot clearly do so. These events just seem too basic, too boring in comparison to the girl I know Haven to be. I may not know where she is taking me, but I am certain it will be none of these places.

I find my suspicions confirmed when Haven is soon turning onto a familiar street. Her headlights cut through the dusk beyond the windshield, illuminating the picture of suburbia: clean mailboxes, large trees, modern homes. I turn to Haven with my eyebrows furrowed in question. The only indication she gives of noticing is a secret smile.

She parks her vehicle before a wooden fence. We sit in silence as she twists the key in the ignition, cutting her car off and leaving us in stillness.

"I know we've been here before, so I hope you're not disappointed," Haven whispers as she offers me a sheepish smile.

I don't voice my thoughts, which consist of the opposite of Haven's concerns. I am not disappointed she brought me here, because I had been hoping that her plans would be along these lines. Haven is more than mere movie dates or going out to eat; she is intricate and mysterious and puzzling. The more I learn about her, the more questions I find myself meditating on. Hopefully, tonight will offer insight as to some of them.

"You could never disappoint me," I assure her with a smile of my own.

Haven chuckles as she turns to open the door. "Let's hope that's true." Exiting into the night air, Haven walks around the car before opening the passenger door for me. Warmth and butterflies explode in my chest as she takes my hand in hers, guiding me toward the fence.

"Just so you're not worried about trespassing this time," Haven whispers to me with a smirk, "I actually asked permission first. But I thought jumping the fence was still cooler, so . . ." Haven trails off as she comes to a halt and holds my stare. Her lips are mischievous as she crouches down, extending her hands to hold my weight as she gestures for me to jump first.

I am only slightly riddled with nerves as I rest a foot in Haven's grasp and grab hold of the fence with my hands, slowly pushing my weight over the edge. I hit the ground hard, my ankles screaming once I make it to the other end of the yard. I regain my composure after a moment and proceed to await Haven's arrival, which catches me off guard. She falls to the ground at my side effortlessly, smiling as she does. She takes my hand to lead me toward her beloved treehouse, though comes to a halt after mere seconds. She inhales a sharp breath and clutches her head as if stricken with a dizzy spell. Immediately, I rush to console her as worry creeps into every breath I inhale. Before I can ask questions, Haven's smile has returned and she is back on her feet, casually strolling through the darkness.