13 | sunlight

The weekend is long and uneventful

I spend most of my time in my room, catching up on school assignments. I finish them before it's even noon by Saturday. I try to find ways to occupy my time. I clean my room and organize my new belongings. I curl up in bed and read a book. Anything I can find to do to avoid having to exit my room. I don't want to be around Mom, because I know exactly what she's going to want to discuss. She'll want to talk about Haven–did we have fun at her house? What did we do? Are she and I friends, or something more?

There's a part of me that wants to jump at the chance to rant about Haven, even if just to my mother. Haven Hartley is a topic I could spend hours mulling over, and still never find words to bring justice to all that she is. However, I keep to myself instead, because I wouldn't have any answers to give my mother. Ever since hanging out with Haven at her house, I've been more confused than ever as to what our relationship status may be.

It's as if my thoughts conjure her. I startle from my thoughts and the book I've been skimming over as my phone buzzes. I reach for it quickly, knowing it's her. Who else could have possibly texted me?

My suspicions are confirmed when I read the message–a text from Haven asking if I'm busy. I respond instantly. A few texts later and I am jumping from my bed and rushing to my closet, because Haven has asked if she can pick me up to hang out and of course I said yes.

My hand reaches for my usual black hoodie, but then I recall how Haven had mentioned how much she liked bright colors on me. Then I am tugging on a baby blue tank top and a pair of leggings, quickly applying some light makeup. Not because I want Haven to find me pretty, but simply because I want to. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Mom is in the front yard when I exit my room to make her aware of my newfound plans. Inwardly, I cringe. I'd been hoping this would be a quick getaway without having to introduce Haven to my mother, but it seems as if I will have no such luck.

I step out onto the front porch, finding Mom on her knees planting a few gardenias. She glances up as I approach, wiping a sheen of sweat from her forehead with the back of her hand. I want to point out that she has accidentally smeared a little dirt across her face.

"I thought you were still sleeping," Mom muses. She eyes me knowingly, the faintest of smirks adorning her lips.

I shrug, dismissing her dig. "Um . . . Would it be okay if I went out with Haven for a bit?"

Mom raises her eyebrows, though doesn't remark. Smiling, she offers a nod. "Sure, Em. Do I need to take you anywhere?"

"She's actually on her way to pick me up . . ." I mumble in response. I stare at my mother pointedly, hoping she'll take note of the hidden meaning behind my words. Haven is on her way, so please go back in the house and leave us alone.

Of course, Mom does not know how to take a hint. Instead of leaving me be, she claps her hands together excitedly. "Oh! Does this mean I get to finally meet the girl?"