SIXTY-NINE

"you've never had a s'more?"

thea's jaw was dropped open, absolutely gobsmacked.

"uh, no i don't think so," kai shrugged his shoulders.

"that is atrocious! come with me," she insisted grabbing him by the wrist and dragging him into the garden, abandoning the conversation they were previously having with paula and timo.

timo gave kai a look as he was pulled away with a grin on his face.

after more people had arrived at the party, thea spent those few hours mingling with different people. she was surprised at how many new people she spoke to, but with kai by her side, she always felt comfortable.

thea and kai reached the rear left hand side of the garden where the circle fire pit was. around it were a few wooden benches that were already completely filled.

"here she is!" callum jeered, currently toasting a marshmallow, "you want a s'more?"

"make it 2 please," thea spoke before jabbing kai with her elbow, "this one has never had a s'more."

"say mums! what the fuck," callum's eyes buldged, "nah bro you're missing out so much."

"as i've heard," kai mused, glancing at thea.

thea looked around the firepit to see christian and andreas aswell as a few players that she recognised to be from the national germany team.

"here you go!"

callum squished the two separate marshmallows into their chocolate digestive biscuits before passing them to thea and kai in a napkin.

"thank you!"

"cheers mate!"

the two walked off to a quieter part of the garden, thea having already scoffed half her s'more already.

they paused when they rear side of the garden by the brown picket fence. thea eyed kai as he took his first bite of the s'more.

"and..." thea trailed off, "so what do you think?"

"it's...alright?"

"alright!" thea shrieked, shoving kai playfully.

the german boy bursted into a fit of laugher, "i mean i've had better things, but yeah- don't get me wrong it is nice but-"

"stop this is painful," thea huffed, clutching her chest in despair.

"you clearly enjoyed yours," kai smirked, finishing his s'more and wiping his fingers on the napkin.

"well duh."

"no i mean literally," kai chuckled, "hang on wait."

he stuffed the napkin into his pocket, taking a step towards a confused thea who had melted marshmallow and chocolate around her lips.

thea's eyed widened as he placed one hand in the crook between her shoulder and her neck and the other splayed across her face. the brunette boy wiped the residue from her lips, not realising their faces were incredibly close to each other

kai's eyes flickered up to thea's.

"you got it all?" the german girl joked.

kai's words got stuck in his throat as his eyes flickered down to thea's lips. his breath hitched in his throat as clouded brown eyes bore into his. slowly, his face hesitantly leaned closer to thea's.

the bruntte girl's heart thrashed against her chest in anticipation of what was going to happen. her eyes fluttered shut at the feeling of soft lips on top of hers.

the german boy's warm hand gripped her cold face, while the other now rested gently on her hip. his earthly cologne consumed thea as his lips moved feverishly against her, as if she would run away if he was too harsh.

not knowing where else to put them, thea placed her hands on his chest, feeling his heart beating rapidly underneath her pulsating fingertips. after a few more seconds, she breathlessly pulled away, their faces a mere few inches away from each other.

"i've been wanting to do that for a while," he mumbled softly.

thea's cheeks flushed red at his comment, not knowning how to respond. she would be lying if she said she hadn't been waiting for that moment too.

kai licked his lips nervously at thea's lack of response but continued speaking anyway.

"i like you," he began steadily. "if you couldn't tell from...that. at first i didn't want to say or do anything in case of ruining our friendship...but i couldnt keep acting like this anymore, like-like you were just a friend to me. because you're not. you're so much more than that. and-"

kai cut himself off as he felt thea's cold hands cup his cheeks.

"breathe, kai," she laughed lightly, to which the brunette boy did as she said.

"better?"

kai nodded.

"and for the record," thea added with a shy mumble, "i like you too. at-at first i just saw you as a really good friend, but then again...you were always more than that. i guess everybody else noticed before we did."

"we really are blind!" kai chuckled, crinkles forming by his eyes.

there was a brief moment of silence as the two stood standing, rooted to the floor.

"oi lads! we're cutting the cake now!"

thea was brought back to reality by the loud soud of ben chilwell's voice. she blushed, taking a step back as she stuffed her hands into her pockets

"after you," kai nodded his head to the door.

smiling, thea turned on her heel and traipsed back inside the werner house. the large group of people crowded around the kitchen island where the birthday boy was standing at one side, his cake with 25 candles in front of him

"everyone ready?" mason called out, standing to the side with a camera.

there was a chorus of 'yeah's as thea felt kai's comforting prescence behind her once again. she glanced upwards to which he offered her a warm smile. he took the opportunity to sling his arm around her shoulder to pull her body closer to him, but not in a way that was obvious to everybody else.

"alright! 1,2,3..."

"happy birthday to you. happy birthday to you. happy birthday dear timo. happy birthday to you!"

there was a round of applause and cheers as timo blew out his candles, surprisingly all 25 in one breath.

JUNO'S NOTES

i was honestly
thinking of
adding more to
this chapter
but now i kind
of think its
short and sweet
and perfect as it is

but yeah you finally
got the long
awaited kiss!! lmao
clearly i can only
write slowburns