BONUS CHAPTER: I

surprise!!
read authors note at the end!!

---

"okay, close your eyes."

"thea-"

"i said, close your eyes, havertz!"

"yes ma'am," he mumbled

it was june 11th. and that meant one thing. it was kai's birthday! thea had spent the previous night round kai's house and they had woken up just an hour ago.

as planned, they got a takeawawy breakfast, which thea collected from the local cafe. while doing that, she also went back to her flat where her birthday present for kai was temporarily being kept.

once she had gotten back, they watched the first half of the original jungle book film while eating, before kai got too impatient to find out what his present was.

"can i open my eyes yet?"

"no! give me a minute," thea called back, sporadically running around kai's house, forgetting which room she had left the present in.

she sighed in relief when she found the big brown box in the spare bedroom farthest from kai's room.

using all her strength, she picked up the box and carried it downstairs to the living room. she placed it in front of kai who was sitting cross-legged on the carpet.

sighing, she kneeled opposite him, with the box in between them. "okay you can open your eyes now."

instantly, his eyes opened to see the big box with holes poked into the sides and the top. cautoiusly, he unfolded the flaps at the top.

his jaw fell open at the present.

inside the box was a baby golden retriever, curled up, fast asleep. still holding the box, kai looked up to face thea, tearing now falling onto his cheeks.

thea's mouth opened in panic. "oh shit. you're crying. is this a bad present? im sorry if i-"

kai leaned over the box, pulling his girlfriend into a hug. "no," he sobbed into her shoulder. "this is the best present ever."

a few months prior to his birthday, kai's other dog otto back in germany had passed away. even though kai pretended he was okay after a while, thea knew the grief was eating him up inside.

after spending ages thinking of a birthday present for her boyfriend, thea realised that a dog would be the only thing to almost fill the otto-shaped hole in his heart.

hesitantly, kai reached inside the box, picking up the puppy and holding him up to his chest. "does he have a name?" kai sniffled.

"i was going to leave that up to you," thea spoke softly.

kai glanced up, the song of bare neccessities playing in the background on the tv behind them.

"balou."

thea smiled. "balou, like from the jungle book?"

kai nodded.

"balou," thea repeated, feeling the name on her tongue. "i like it."

"do you want to hold him?" kai asked.

thea shook her head with a smile. "you hold him for now. i've had my fair share with him while he was staying at mine and ali's flat. when he's awake he has so much energy. i have to show you the videos ali took of him running around the flat."

kai nodded, not paying too much attention to her words as he stroked balou in his lap.

"aaryan's probably spent more time with him than i have," thea laughed, "as soon as i told him i was getting you a dog, he was over asap. oh- and him and aliyah asked for your address so they can come and visit the dog often."

kai chuckled, looking up at her. "i can't believe the first time i saw him before timo's party, that i thought you were with him."

thea pulled a face. "ew. god, oh no. he's like a brother now. he's like...what ben is to me."

"not mason?" kai raised an eyebrow.

"oh mase is just an annoying twat, he's like my heidi," thea burst out laughing. "but no, i still love him too."

"more than me?" kai huffed in fake despair.

"oh shut up," thea pushed his shoulder. "unless you want me to give balou to mason? i'm sure he'd be very happy with a dog-"

"-on second thought..." kai cut her off, cuddling balou close to his chest.

"that's what i thought," thea snickered, "anyway, i've got balou's water bowl and basket over at my place still so we can go get that later.

kai nodded. "what time are our families coming?"

yes. he said our.

after taking a lot of convincing from thea - and from kai's family - thea's dad decided to leave becker's cafe solely in heidi's hands for a week.

thea's dad and kai's parents and siblings were flying to england for his birthday. thank god for spare bedrooms.

"their flight lands at half 5 so they'll be finished with customs at 6," thea replied.

"okay cool. we can pick them up and they can freshen up here and then we can go out for dinner?"

"perfect," thea smiled.

she glanced at balou in kai's arms and she couldn't help but adore the little family they had created. all because of one silly mistake by none other than timo werner.

JUNO'S NOTES

u guys don't
understand how
badly i wanted to
spoil that there
would be a bonus
chap in the epilogue.

this was originally
meant to be the
epilogue but then
i cut the chapters
from 90 to 80
and i could NEVER
let myself live if
the ending amount
of chapters was 81😤

this chap was
supposed to go
up earlier in
the day but i
forgot lmao

also,
important‼️‼️
if any of u are
into the maze
runner series, i
have a harriet
fanfic up on my
page that i would
love for u guys to
check out :)

also even more
important ‼️‼️‼️

WE HIT 200K+
READS WTF?!?!
I WAS GONNA
ANNOUNCE THIS
IN THE PREVIOUS
CHAP BUT IT WAS
TOO LATE AS I HAD
PUBLISHED IT BEFORE
I NOTICED.

I SRSLY CANNOT
BELIEVE WE'VE
REACHED 200K.
THAT IS HONESTLY
A MAD MILESTONE.
I CANNOT THANK U
GUYS ENOUGH❤❤