Chapter 7: Reconnecting

"What brings you here?" I asked.

"I knew you'd be here after school and decided to come and see you."

"How do you know I'm not going to rip your head off like I have been, lately?"

"Probably because you didn't this morning?"

"Good point" I sighed. "Look, can we sit down and talk?"

"Sure, but why don't we do it over a burger and fries or some shawarma sandwiches?"

"I'll go for the shawarma sandwiches any day" I smiled.

"And there's that smile I've missed so much" he tapped my shoulder, realizing what a strong hand he had, and now I knew why. "Let's head over to Batroun Mega Grill."

"Then let's go."

At the restaurant, I ordered myself a chicken shawarma with too many fries to go along with it, as well as a side of Hummus, Moutabbel, Dolma, and some pickled turnips. And let's not forget some tea to go with it.

"I'm glad you didn't turn me down" he smiled.

"It's kind of hard to when I've missed you. Though at times it felt you didn't miss me, in return."

"Buddy, I'm sorry I neglected you when you needed me."

"Why did you?"

"I was dealing with a lot, mainly dad's passing, and unsure of what the future held for us as a family. I had to go away for a while and had to also figure out my past too."

"You became Superman, clearly you learned about your heritage and past and the planet you were from. What more did you have to learn?"

"It was more about my family, our family."

"Which one? Our human or alien family?" I joked and he just gave me the 'duh' look. "Okay, sorry."

"It's okay. But my point is that I needed more answers but sadly, I was unable to find almost anything. And the reason why I came back was that I realized I left you behind and it became more real when mom told me what you were going through."

"So you decided to come back and live here, with your big city girlfriend or rather, fiancée?"

"Yes, and Lois really wants to get to know you. You're a good kid and I've always admired how studious and hardworking you are."

"I'm sorry for how I treated you."

"And what changed your mind, so suddenly?"

"I don't know, to be honest. I suppose it was how much I love you, maybe that's why. Plus, the last thing I want is for mom to be disappointed in me and I don't want to be a bad kid, either."

"I see" he looked pensive. "I know I wasn't there for you when you needed me most and for that, I am so sorry. It's why I came back to live here because the last thing I want is for you to be alone and I want to be in yours and mom's lives."

"So does this mean you're staying with us permanently?"

"Yes, Lois is thrilled to live in a small town and there's way too much room in our house to fit the four of us."

"Look at the bright side, at least there will be more activity. For the most part, it's only been mom and I, since you left and dad's well...you know."