Chapter 18: Blood & Family Ties

These last couple of weeks have perhaps been the toughest for me. My brother and I had done rigorous exercises so I could get my hearing under control. It was brutal at first but somehow, surprisingly, I managed to do what seemed impossible and managed to control my hearing.

Now, thankfully, I could use it all on my own and when I needed to. Though, there were times when it spontaneously assaulted me with loud sounds. But now, I knew how to get it all under control.

I was scared of developing these powers but I was beginning to see that they weren't as bad as I expected them to be, though I only had one, super-hearing.

The one thing that I was still afraid of was not being or feeling normal. Normal people did not have powers and I wanted to remain that way.

Though I may have gotten this power under control, I still did not want them. I hoped to find a solution to put these powers to sleep, so I could be free to live my life as I pleased but I had a feeling that day was not coming any time soon.

Today, out of all days, was my first day back and my mom and Clark, with Lois' help, managed to fake a COVID diagnosis so I had an absolute excuse to skip school for the next two weeks.

Though COVID was no longer considered a pandemic, it was still spreading like wildfire, especially with new and more contagious variants popping out of every corner. Even people around here still wore masks as did I from time to time and was considering wearing one just to be on the safe side, for my family's sake, more specifically my mom and now Lois.

Her sister Lucy was going to come and stay with us and was supposed to be here a week ago but something came up and was going to come later today.

The doorbell started ringing and figured it was Lucy. As I walked downstairs, Clark answered the door and to my utter surprise, it was Chris with my aunt Nour.

 As I walked downstairs, Clark answered the door and to my utter surprise, it was Chris with my aunt Nour

Nour/Nur-El

***

What was he doing with her?

"Omar?" Nour looked at me, almost amazed.

"Aunt Nour, how are you?"

"I'm good" she came and hugged me though unlike before, there was something odd about her.

Like she wasn't quite herself.

"I see you've grown since I last saw you."

"He's grown, alright" Clark chuckled.

"Where's your mom?"

"She went with Lois to pick her sister up at the airport, and are going to the Farmer's Market and buy some veggies and other stuff for tonight's dinner. We're making Lule Kafta Kebabs for dinner. Omar's personal favorites."