08 | why did you leave?

✲ ✲ ✲

✲ ✲ ✲

J J  W O O D F O R D

"WHAT DO YOU SAY," Finn swats me in the chest as I chug down a glass of cold milk. "Party tonight?"

I stare back at him as he walks around the kitchen island to face me. "Sure," I nod. "People you know from school?"

Finn shrugs. "Pretty much," he bows his head. "Will be nice to see old friends who only come back for the summer. I can introduce you to them, it will be good for you to know a few familiar faces."

"Right," I say as I place down the glass.

Since I arrived yesterday I've barely seen Ivy today. If I knew any better, I would think that she's avoiding me or trying not to be in the house today for the exact reason of not wanting to talk to me.

I get it. She doesn't want Finn to find out. She doesn't want to remember our night together but I do. I want to ask why she left without saying a word. Is this what it feels like to feel rejected and neglected after a nice fuck? You take this shit personally. I know I sure have.

"Where's the party?" I ask Finn whilst she scrolls through his phone.

"On the beach," he nods towards the direction of the sea. "Bring your own beers. Standard around here. Why have house parties when you have an endless beach front?"

I nod even though he can't see me. Can't say I've ever been to a party on the beach but I guess there is a time for everything.

"Who's going?"

Finn peers up at me and frowns, those light brown eyebrows creasing. "You don't know anyone here. Does it matter who's going?"

"Oh, no, no," I shake my head and pretend to be interested in the marble counter. "Was just asking." Because I was wondering if Ivy will be there.

I don't say this. Obviously. But a part of me wants to know. How much will I actually be seeing her this summer in reality? If Finn hangs out with her friends or if Ivy hangs out with his friends then it's going to be a clear case of crossing boundaries.

Ones I won't be able to help because I can't make excuses to Finn.

"What time?"

"Around seven or eight," he says, finally looking up from his phone and locking it. "You wanna go into town? Do something before the party, even get some beers in before."

I take the glass and place it inside their dishwasher. "Sounds good to me."

✲ ✲ ✲

When we get home a few hours later, Finn instructs that we start to get ready and he takes far too long to do that. Longer than any girl I've ever met. I never know what he does that takes him hours to get ready, his hair never has any product in it and he doesn't take long to shower.