26 | he's a scorpio

✲ ✲ ✲

✲ ✲ ✲

I V Y T H O M P S O N

I spent the rest of the day with Daisy. Neither of us mentioned boys or school or anything that would turn the attention away from ourselves and it was incredibly refreshing. I can't remember the last time we had quality time like that.

Hopefully now this will be a new turning point in our friendship.

Time will tell at least.

When I get home, the sun has already set and the orange sky is fading into darkness. I don't hear anyone when I get in and I decide not to shout out, Finn might be at work or asleep–who knows.

I head to my room where I get changed into my silk pyjamas and I climb into a bed, reaching for the book that sits on top of my bedside table. I sink into my sheets and fold back the page, exhaling a little breath.

This is the life.

My eyes scan the words and I find myself smiling. The events of today have put me in a mood I didn't realise I needed. I allow myself to be sad far too many times but why would I want to be sad? Daisy was right, I deserve to be happy.

Taking a chance with JJ might make Finn upset but it might be worth the risk after all.

What if we work out and I wish I did it sooner?

A noise echoes from outside up to my window and I turn my head towards my blinds. I frown at the noise, it sounded like a whimper or a quiet cry. When it doesn't happen again, I turn my attention back to my book and try to engross myself into the story.

I chew on my lip as I flick my eyes over the words, only for that sound to reach my ears. It's now louder than before and I feel my heart hammer in my chest because I know it's coming from the garden which is directly below my bedroom.

Without hesitation, I push back the covers and walk to my window. I tilt the blinds slowly and glance outside but I can't see anyone or anything. I hum to myself and turn towards my door.

I lean over my desk and grab my dressing gown before sliding it over my arms and around my body. I crack open my door and head downstairs to find the back door shut but unlocked, someone must be home.

My fingers wrap around the handle and I pull it back, I step outside onto the patio. Instantly regretting not putting on any shoes because the stones are cold now that the sun has gone in.

I glance down the side of the house, my eyes squinting as I find a body hunched over, head in their hands. A sob wracks the back of their throat as they choke, the sound making me pause for a moment because it's haunting.

"JJ?" I call out.

He doesn't move when he hears my voice but I take a few steps forward, not wanting to startle him. When my bare feet come into his view, he sniffles and wipes his nose with his wrist before more tears sprout out of his eyes.