Chapter Five: The Flayed

"I found him," El tells them as they were still in Mike's basement

"I found him," El tells them as they were still in Mike's basement. El had a cloth over her eyes and the tv was making static noises. She was trying to find where Hopper and David were.

"Where is he?" Gabby asked as she laid her head on Lucas's shoulder and her arms wrapped around him while he rubbed her back.

"Woods."

"Woods?" Lucas says.

"He's with... Will's mom and Gabby's dad," El informed them.

"My-- My mom?"

"What are they doing?" Max asked her.

"Il.... annoy," El murmured, "They're going to Ill-annoy."

Suddenly, there was a loud knock on the basement door, and they heard Mike's mother, "Mike! Breakfast!"

"Not now, Mom!" Mike yelled back to his mother then turned to El and said, "Illinois? Illinois, like the state? The state of Illinois?"

"Il-annoy," El stammered.

The boys started bickering so Max took Gabby and El to the bathroom so they could clean up El's bloody nose.

Max grabbed a towel, put water on it, and wiped the blood from El's nose. El looked in the mirror and touched the bruise that Billy had given her last night while Gabby looked at the bruise on her arm and forehead.

"Does it still hurt?" Max asked.

"Only when I talk," El answered.

"Well, it's a good thing you're not Mike, then," Gabby tells her, "Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. And you'd be in constant pain." They laughed at this as Max continued to wipe El's nose.

"Gabby how's your arm?" Max said pointing to it.

"It hurts when I move too much, and my head feels better than last night," Gabby says as she shows them the purple-ish bruise.

Then Gabby heard the boys start talking and she whispered, "Hey, listen." They went quiet so they could listen to the boys.

"Something's not right," they heard Mike say, "I can't get Hopper off my back all summer now all of a sudden he's hiking with Will's mom and Gabby's dad to Illinois? And Dustin M.I.A, too? I mean this can't be a coincidence."

"What does it matter?" Lucas says, getting annoyed with Mike, "The bottom line is, they're not here. It's up to us."

"Up to us to do what exactly?" Mike asked.

"Find Billy and stop him."

"Okay, yeah, that's a really nice sentiment, but even if El and Gabby could find him again, and that's a pretty big if, then what?" Mike says.

"We burn the shit out of him and make sure he doesn't escape this time," Lucas explained.

"Okay, then what?"