Chapter Nine: The Battle Of Starcourt

"Griswold Family, this is Scoops Troop! Do you сору?! Over! Griswold Family, I repeat, this is Scoops Troop. Do you--?" The Mind Flayer roars loudly and Dustin's staticky voice cuts out. Then, it resumes. They couldn't hear what he was saying.

Max, Gabby, Mike, and El hide behind a counter. Her left-hand clutches El's hand tightly and her right hand in Max's. The Mind Flayer storms through the mall and gets dangerously close to where they were hiding. All it did was roar and move on. Gabby's breathing was shaky as Mike peeks over the counter.

"It's turned away," Mike tells them, crouching back down, "If we go up the stairs now, we'll make it."

"No way, not with El's leg," Gabby points out.

"We have to try," Mike says.

"There's another way," El speaks up, "to get out through the Gap." Gabby looks over the counter getting a clear view of The Gap and sees the Mind Flayers' back is turned before crouching back down.

"It might just work," Gabby whispered.

"Okay," Mike nods. A beat of silence. "Now!" Mike grabs El's hand, and Gabby grabs Max's. The four-run into the Gap. El knocks something over and it makes a noise. The Mind Flayer hears it and turns around.

It heads into the Gap and one of its tentacles searches the store for the four. One of them snatches up a mannequin. Realizing it isn't one of them, the Mind Flayer throws it away. It lands right next to them, and they gasp, breathing heavily. The mannequin is wearing the same shirt as El.

Another tentacle slithers around the store they moved to the other side of the clothing stand.
Right as it was about to find them, Gabby heard a balloon pop. The Mind Flayer roars and retracts its tentacle, stomping over to where the balloon must be.

"Go!" Mike says.

They run through the Gap and through the back rooms until they reach the outside of the mall. Max and Gabby help El walk and Mike leads the way. Then, they were greeted by a flayed Billy emerging from his car that was on fire and looked directly at them.

"Shit!" Max yells.

"Go, go, go, go, go!" Mike yells and they quickly turn the other way.

Mike takes over Max's place in helping El, and Max runs over to the gate outside, pressing the button to close them. They walk back through the back hallways of the mall, trying to find somewhere to hide as El groaned.

"In here, in here," Mike says quickly, finding an elevator.

Gabby jammed the button impatiently. "Come on fucking open!" Gabby shouted angrily.

"Billy," Max breathes. Mike, El, and Gabby turn to see Max, in the doorway, staring at Billy, who is standing at the end of the hallway.

"Billy, you don't have to do this," Max pleads to him. "Billy, your name's Billy, Billy Hargrove. You live on 4819 Cherry Lane. Billy, please. I'm Max. I'm your--" Before Max can finish, Billy slaps her--hard causing her to crumple to the floor.

"Max!" Gabby yelled. As Mike tries to punch Billy, but before he can, Billy slams him into a wall. He crumpled as well.

Billy turns to Gabby. She glares at and outstretches her hand before she could use her powers Billy's arm shoots out and grips her wrist tightly, slamming her head into the wall and flinging her away before doing the same to El.