Chapter 11

September 23rd, 1956

THE REST OF AUGUST FLEW BY. BEFORE JULIET KNEW IT, SEPTEMBER WAS SEVEN DAYS AWAY FROM BEING OVER.

It was her fourth Sunday living in Memphis, and they'd just gotten back from a long mass at church.

  Juliet walked into her room, sighing to herself as she collapsed onto her bed. Her feet ached from her heels. She glanced at the clock on the wall and shot up with a gasp.

  She was supposed to surprise Elvis at the airport when he landed. His plane landed in twelve minutes, it was going to take her at least seventeen minutes to get to the airport.

  She rushed down the stairs, nearly tripping her own feet in her haste. She skidded to a stop in front of a mirror to quickly fix her hair before rushing into the kitchen.

"Mimi, can I—Oh, hi, Kitty," said Juliet upon noticing her cousin, who was only a few months older than her. Her real name was Katheryn, but she preferred to go by Kitty. "How are you? I hope Rosalind is doing well?"

"I'm doing good," replied Kitty, shooting her cousin a grin. Her expression became solemn at the thought of her sister, "Unfortunately, my little sister has come down with a bad cold."

Juliet frowned, giving Kitty a sympathetic look.

"What were you saying, dear?" questioned Mimi, drawing Juliet's attention away from Katheryn.

"I was just wondering if I can borrow the car," said the Tilden, tilting her head slightly. She knew how to drive and she had a license, she just didn't have her own car.

"Of course you can," smiled Mimi, walking out of the kitchen. She returned a moment later with the key in her hand.

Juliet took it from her, thanking her profusely. She exited the kitchen and rushed out of the house.

  She climbed into the car without hesitation after unlocking it, starting up the engine quickly. She backed out of the driveway and sped away.

  It took her ten minutes tops to make it to the airport. She drove safely for the most part; minus the fact that she was going 10 miles over the speed limit, and she nearly ran over two pedestrians.

  To be fair, she hadn't driven in years.

  She messily parked in a parking space and got out of the car. She leaned down to make sure she looked decent in the side-view mirror of the car, before straightening up and making her way towards the airport.

  She stood on the runway, along with a few other people, anxiously waiting for Elvis's airplane to arrive. A smile immediately appeared on her face as his plane landed.

He was one of the first people off the plane, making her smile widen. He didn't notice her immediately, but when he did, he felt his heart skip a beat.

She'd come to surprise him.

He rushed over to her immediately; an acquaintance he'd made in Hollywood, Nick Adams, behind him.

"Darlin', what are you doin' here?" Elvis asked, his eyebrows furrowing slightly. While he was happy she was here, he was a little confused.