Chapter 15

December 4th, 1956

JULIET RUSHED THROUGH HER MIMI AND PAPA'S HOUSE WITH INHUMAN SPEED SHE DIDNT KNOW SHE POSSESSED, AN INVITATION CLUTCHED IN HER HAND.

She abruptly entered the kitchen, startling her poor Mimi— whom had been making a birthday cake for Genevieve and Gwendolyn so they could still celebrate their birthday while being so far away.

  She mainly did it for Juliet.

  "How was school?" asked Mimi, watching in bewilderment as Juliet draped her book-bag on the back of a chair and walked over to the telephone at the speed of light.

  "It was good," answered Juliet, dialing a number she hadn't called in a long time. She was dialing her old house number.

  She desperately prayed that her mother wouldn't be the one to answer. As the telephone rang for the third time, someone finally picked up.

  "Hello," a familiar voice greeted, making a small smile appear on her face. "This is Genevieve Tilden speaking. Who is this?"

  "YOU'RE GETTIN' MARRIED?!" exclaimed Juliet, the invitation clutched tightly in her hand. Mimi raised a brow and walked closer to her granddaughter, her interest piqued.

Knowing exactly who it was, Genevieve chuckled. "What happened to hi, hello, how are you?. Maybe even a happy birthday before you start springin' questions on me."

  "Happy birthday!" The younger Tilden was quick to say before repeating her earlier exclamation, "YOU'RE GETTIN' MARRIED?!"

  "YES!" Genevieve exclaimed with the same enthusiasm.

"I—When—How—" blubbered Juliet, struggling to form a complete sentence in her mind. She had so many questions.

"He proposed to me a month after you went to live with Mimi and Papa," Genevieve summed up. "Speaking of which, have you told them yet?"

"I think Mimi probably knows since she can hear my half of our conversation," said the younger Tilden, glancing at an excited Mimi. "I'll tell Papa after our telephone call is over."

"Okay," breathed Genevieve, a tone of slight relief in her voice. "I'm so excited. I can't believe I'm going to be Mrs Thomas Hughes in just a few months! Genevieve Hughes does have a nice ring to it, doesn't it?"

  "You better name one of your kids after me," demanded Juliet in a teasing tone.

  "Sure, Julie, sure," said the older sister, a slight laugh in her voice. They continued to talk excitedly with each other as Mimi took the invitation from Juliet.

𝓜𝓻. 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓜𝓻𝓼. 𝓔.𝓖. 𝓣𝓲𝓵𝓭𝓮𝓷 𝓻𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓮𝓼𝓽 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓱𝓸𝓷𝓸𝓻 𝓸𝓯 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓹𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓮𝓷𝓬𝓮 𝓪𝓽 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓶𝓪𝓻𝓻𝓲𝓪𝓰𝓮 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓲𝓻 𝓭𝓪𝓾𝓰𝓱𝓽𝓮𝓻

𝓖𝓮𝓷𝓮𝓿𝓲𝓮𝓿𝓮 𝓜𝓪𝓻𝓰𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓽
𝓽𝓸
𝓜𝓻. 𝓣𝓱𝓸𝓶𝓪𝓼 𝓛. 𝓗𝓾𝓰𝓱𝓮𝓼
𝓸𝓷 𝓢𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓭𝓪𝔂, 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓯𝓲𝓯𝓽𝓱 𝓭𝓪𝔂 𝓸𝓯 𝓙𝓪𝓷𝓾𝓪𝓻𝔂
𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓮𝓽𝓮𝓮𝓷 𝓱𝓾𝓷𝓭𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓯𝓲𝓯𝓽𝔂-𝓼𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓷
𝓪𝓽 𝓸𝓷𝓮 𝓹.𝓶.
𝓲𝓷 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓯𝓲𝓻𝓼𝓽 𝓑𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓲𝓼𝓽 𝓒𝓱𝓾𝓻𝓬𝓱
𝓓𝓪𝔂𝓽𝓸𝓷𝓪 𝓑𝓮𝓪𝓬𝓱, 𝓕𝓵𝓸𝓻𝓲𝓭𝓪