Chapter 12

October 3rd, 1956

JULIET'S PUMPS TAPPED ANXIOUSLY AGINST THE FLOOR OF HER ECONOMICS CLASSROOM, HER EYES FLITTING UP AND DOWN FROM THE CLOCK.

  An alarm sounded from the front of the classroom, resounding throughout the room. She immediately rushed to open the oven, pulling out a pan of brownies.

Their economics teacher, Mrs. Clemons, had assigned them to bake brownies at the beginning of the class using a recipe they had been given. Juliet waited nervously as the teacher began walking around, fiddling with her fingers.

Everyone began cutting their brownies in squares, placing them on a plate.

"Psst," whispered a voice from her left. She turned to see a blonde girl, whom she thought was named Peggy, standing in front of a plate of burnt brownies. "Do you think you can you help me?"

Juliet hesitated; she really did not want to get a bad grade on this because she helped someone cheat, especially not since she spent so much time and effort to make the brownies.

But the desperate look on the girl's face made her immediately nod her head.

"Yeah, let me cut you a few pieces," said Juliet, beginning to cut a few small squares out of her pan of brownies.

The teacher got to their station a few seconds after the Tilden had given the blonde girl a few brownie slices. The teacher walked away, a smile on her face signaling that they both got a decent grade.

Glancing back at the teacher, who now stood criticizing another students soupy brownies; the blonde girl leaned toward Juliet, whispering, "Thanks."

"No problem," said the Tilden, shooting her a quick grin as she began cleaning up her station.

"I'm Peggy Evans," introduced the girl, sticking out her hand for Juliet to shake, a smile on her face. "Well—it's Margaret, actually. But I prefer to go by Peggy."

"My mama's name is Margaret," said Juliet, turning to face the blonde. The Evans girl had already trashed her burnt brownies and wiped away all the spills she'd created.

"That's cool!" exclaimed Peggy, genuine interest shining in her eyes. "My ma's name is Floria."

"That's a pretty name." Juliet told Peggy, making the blonde's smile widen happily.

They were mid-conversation when the bell rang. They continued to talk, mainly Peggy, as they walked out of the home economics classroom.

"I want you to meet my other friends," said Peggy two minutes before the late bell was supposed to ring. Juliet didn't have a choice in the matter apparently, as the blonde began dragging her to the girls restroom at the end of the hall.

Peggy and Juliet entered the restroom to see two brunettes already there; one sitting on the counter smoking a cigarette, and the other standing next to her reapplying her lipstick.

"Sorry I'm a little late," said the Evans girl sheepishly. The girl on the counter said nothing, her eyes slowly moving over to where Juliet stood next to Peggy.

"Who's your new friend, Peggy?" She questioned, a hint of disdain and superiority in her voice.

"I'm Juliet Tilden."