Chapter 14

{ Juliet's costume }

October 31st, 1956

IT HAD TAKEN JULIET AN HOUR AND THIRTY MINUTES TO GET READY FOR THE HALLOWEEN PARTY.

She was supposed to be Cinderella from the movie Cinderella, which she'd gone to see with Genevieve when it first came out in theaters.

The thought of her sister made her pause. Her hand that had previously been fixing her hair, fell to her side. Fond memories of her sister brought tears to her eyes.

She quickly wiped the tears away, silently berating herself. Now was not the time to cry.

Especially since Elvis was going to be there soon. Or at least, she hoped he would be.

  She finished fixing her hair, taking a long look at herself in the mirror, before rushing out of her room. She lifted the floor length dress up slightly so she wouldn't trip on it while going down the stairs.

She walked into the living room where she knew her Mimi would be, immediately getting smothered in compliments from her Mimi and Papa.

"Well, aren't you as pretty as a picture," said Mimi, a smile on her face.

"The prettiest picture I ever did see," added Papa from his spot next to Mimi.

Their words made her smile widen, her love for them growing in that moment.

  The house began filling up, family and friends greeting them as they walked in. Some were in costumes, others weren't. Eventually, everyone had arrived.

  Everyone except Elvis.

  Juliet felt her throat tighten up as she realized that he wouldn't be coming. She found a chair in the corner of the living room and secluded herself as best you could at a party.

  She pressed her hands to her eyes, negative thoughts plaguing her mind.

  "Now, why are you all lonesome at a party?"

  She jumped up from the couch upon hearing his voice. Elvis had finally arrived. 

  "Well, don't you look like a Princess," said Elvis when he saw her Halloween costume. He, himself, had not dressed up. But he did try to dress nice for the occasion, deciding on wearing a striped suit jacket and a white collared shirt paired with black trousers.