Chapter 17

January 5th, 1957

ELVIS WAS JULIET'S PLUS ONE TO GENEVIEVE'S WEDDING.

She didn't even have to think twice before inviting him.

  There was only one issue with this decision; her mama and daddy hated Elvis with a passion.  She'd decided that she shouldn't care what they thought since she no longer lived under their roof.

  That's how she found herself sitting in a sew in the church, feeling her mama's glare burning holes into the back of her head.

  She did her best to ignore them, her hand unconsciously clutching Elvis's.

  Everyone stood when they heard the organ begin playing. Juliet turned towards the large double doors when they opened, feeling tears prick her eyes as she caught sight of her sister.

  Genevieve wore a beautiful, layered silk gown that dragged on the floor. It had a modest sweetheart neckline that showed off her collarbones. She had her gloved hands wrapped around daddy's arm, a happy smile on her face.

  Rosie skipped down the aisle in front of them, throwing pink pedals on the ground as she did. A little boy, Thomas's younger brother— whom she thought was named William— walked behind them, carrying the rings on a plush pillow.

Juliet felt tears prick her eyes as she watched her older sister walk up to the alter. Genevieve looked beautiful in white.

Unfortunately, due to mama's wrath, Genevieve could not name Juliet as one of her bridesmaids. She had to admit she felt a little jealous to see Gwendolyn standing up there.

  Neither of them particularly liked her.

  Juliet sniffled loudly once Genevieve and Thomas shared their first kiss as newlyweds, tears falling from her eyes before she could stop them.

  "I didn't know you cried at weddings," teased Elvis, glancing down at the girl that had unconsciously leaned against him.

  "Who doesn't?" questioned the Tilden in a teary voice, quickly wiping away her tears. She looked to her left when she felt someone tap her arm.

  "We're all gathering in the basement of the church for the wedding reception." Mimi informed her, shooting them both a kind smile. She then walked away, hand-in-hand with papa.

  "Ready to face trials and tribulations?" questioned Juliet in a soft voice, looking at Elvis with a slight smile on her face. She had a gut feeling that this reception was not going to end well.

  Elvis exaggerated a gulp, making Juliet let out a loud laugh. With that, they linked their arms together and made their way to the basement.

  She felt her mama's eyes on her as soon as they stepped foot into the room. Juliet ignored her mother to the best of her ability, rushing over to Genevieve as soon as she saw her.

  "Ginny! You look so beautiful," complimented Juliet, throwing her arms around her sister's midsection and squeezing her. She squeezed back, giving her little sister a grin.

  "Thank you, Juls," said the older Tilden, her smile fading slightly when she noticed Elvis behind Juliet. "I see you've brought Elvis with you as your plus one. It's lovely to meet you Mr. Presley." Genevieve stuck out her hand for Elvis to shake as a greeting, and he took it.