Chapter 16

December 25th, 1956

JULIET JUST COULDN'T STOP STARING AT THE NEW CAR ELVIS HAD GOTTEN HER AS A SURPRISE FOR CHRISTMAS.

It was a baby blue Ford Fairlane convertible. She'd only had it for less than 12 hours and she already loved it like it was her own baby, giving it the nickname of Gracie— inspired by her favorite actress Grace Kelly.

She caressed the hood of her car, smiling fondly down at it. It was just so beautiful, she couldn't help but smile.

Juliet quickly climbed into the car, tying a blue and white scarf around her head to prevent her hair from being messed up and putting on some dark cat-eye glasses. She started the engine and backed out of the driveway, an excited smile on her face as she sped in the direction of Elvis's house.

She finally had her own car.

  When she arrived at Elvis's house, she parked the car as careful as she could and got out. She closed the door very slowly, not wanting to chip the paint.

  Elvis opened the door as soon as he heard her knock. He smiled upon seeing her, it widened even further when she threw her arms around his neck in a hug.

  "Hiya, E," greeted Juliet happily, taking off her sunglasses. Ever since she'd been with Elvis, she'd been much happier.

  "Hi, darlin',"he smiled at her, making her heart flutter. As he invited her in, closing the door behind her, he asked, "How're you likin' your gift?"

  "Oh, it's amazing," breathed the Tilden, a big grin on her face. "Gracie is the best."

  "Gracie?" Elvis questioned, cocking his head in confusion. "Who's Gracie?"

  "The car, silly," laughed Juliet, shaking her head slightly.

  "I'm starting to think you like that car more than me," he muttered, beginning to regret getting her a car.

  "Gracie," corrected Juliet, smirking at him slightly. "Don't worry, E. You'll always be my best boy."

  He felt something weird stir in him upon hearing her call him her best boy, his heart skipping a beat. Clearing his throat, he put his hand on the small of her back and gently led her into the living room where the tree was set up.

  She saw Elvis's parents, Vernon and Gladys, sitting on the couch. There was also another older woman there, but Juliet didn't recognize her.

  Juliet felt awkward as soon as Gladys's eyes landed on her. The last exchange they shared had ended in a less-than-pleasant way. She'd told Elvis's mother that they weren't together, and then that very night they started seeing each other.

  "Oh, hello, Miss Tilden," greeted Vernon as soon as he saw her, giving her a friendly smile. Gladys was still shooting daggers at her with her eyes, unsettling her.

"Hi, Mr. Presley." She shot him a kind smile as Elvis led her over to where an older lady sat in an armchair.

"This is—" began Elvis but he was quickly cut off.

"I'm Minnie Mae," introduced the older lady. "That one, over there," she jabbed a thumb in Elvis's direction, "likes to introduce me, as if I couldn't do it myself."