Chapter 2: Well, Well, Well

Kate
I put one hand on the reins and the other on my hip and gave him (the guy who almost killed me) the maddest, most pissed-off look I can muster up.

"What the hell is wrong with you?"

"You were driving in the middle of the road!" I yell.

He looks directly at the horse and says,
"Look, I'm sorry I was trying to get to practice, and I figured no one would be on this road at this time. Ninety percent of the people that live on this road are over the age of eighty."

He can't even look me in the eye.

That's why I don't mind riding on this road in the morning because not many people use it.

When he finally looks up at me that's when I realize who he is. Wyatt M. Kent.

My school's star quarterback and one of the most popular guys at school. Last football season he took our team to the state championship. We almost won.

Every girl wants to date him and every guy wants to be his friend. I don't get the hype.

Yeah, he seems nice but they act like he's an angel among us.

"Well, well, well Wyatt M. Kent almost hit me with his car. I don't know if I should be offended or honored?" I say sarcastically.

"I can see the newspaper headlines now." I bring my hand up and make motions like I'm highlighting words in a book as I speak.

"Wyatt M. Kent, Star Quarterback for the Clearwater's high school football team (The Sharks) almost hits girl on horseback because he was texting and driving."

Wyatt chuckles. "Actually, I was eating an egg sandwich not texting."

"Anyway, why are you riding on the road in the dark?"

"It's not dark, see the sun starting to come up," I argue.

"And well Wyatt M. Kent-"

He interrupts me. "Just Wyatt is fine."

I grin and continue. "See Just Wyatt, not everyone has time to do things after school, so they have to get up early to do it before school. Shocking I know, not everyone gets to sleep in."

I have no idea why I just gave him a nickname.
Maybe it was to annoy him?

Yes, yes that's why; to aggravate him.

He rolls his eyes and asks, "So, are you sure you're okay?"

I dramatically nod my head. "Yes, I am perfectly fine."

I give Titan a little nudge with my heel to get him to start walking. "Well Just Wyatt, I guess I'll see you around."

"Gotta get going, there are things that must be done," I say sarcastically.

Once Titan starts walking away and I look over my shoulder.

"And thank you for almost hitting me with your car. It made my day extra special."
I scrunch my nose to be extra dramatic.

Once I get off the road and onto the grass I start trotting away. Wyatt yells, "Wait, you didn't tell me your name!"

I'm not surprised he didn't remember me, not many people do.

I usually fade into the background.

After my ride on Titan, I put him out in his field with his field mate Kia. I leave a note for Mr. Brent explaining everything I did with Titan. It would be a lot faster if he had a cell phone then I could text him.

I leave out the part where we almost got hit by a car because there's no reason for him to worry.

If I told him he would want to come with me every time I rode one of his horses. I love Mr. Brent but it's hard to train a horse with its owners watching you.

Once I get to school, I get changed in the girl's bathroom and make my way to my locker.

Suddenly someone's arm swings over my shoulders. I know who it is before I hear his voice.

Tyler Lochner.

My arch nemesis.

"How is my favorite little sister this morning?"
Tyler asks with sarcasm dripping from his voice.

"Tyler, I'm not your little sister, you're just my brother's best friend."

He looks at me and pretends to be offended. "Kat, I can't believe you would say that.
I've known you since before you could walk, I'm hurt you don't see me the same way."

What he said is true, our moms were best friends, as kids we were always at each other's houses. Tyler and my brother are very close, and I would never tell him this but he's like family.

Even though we're not related he's basically my second brother.

And no I feel no feelings toward him.

Unless you count hatred and annoyance as feelings then yes, I have plenty of feelings for him.

"Hey, darling," Izzy says walking over.

"Hey, sweetheart," Tyler responds with a dopey smile.

"Oh, Tyler I wasn't talking to you I was talking to Katie." I start laughing because Tyler gives Izzy a, 'go to hell look.' 

"Hey bestie" I hug Izzy. 

If you haven't guessed Izzy Gavins is my best friend and is dating Tyler, my brother's best friend. I know confusing.

"Katie, how's your morning going?"  Izzy asks.

"Well, if you think almost getting hit by Wyatt M. Kent's car as you're riding on the road is a great way to start your day, then pretty great."

Tyler starts laughing and hands me one of my schoolbooks from my locker so I can close the door.

"I was wondering what took him so long to get to practice."

  Oh, did I mention that Tylers is the kicker for our school's football team? Probably not.

My brain tends to skip over Tyler-related things.

"Tyler, it's not funny Katie could have gotten hurt or killed!" Izzy snaps.

"Or very rich," Tyler says.

We both burst out laughing, and Izzy rolls her eyes as she gets her coat from her locker. 

"Remind me why I'm still dating you?"

"Because I'm the hottest guy on the football team," Tyler replies.

We both dramatically roll our eyes and that meal bar I ate for breakfast threatens to say hello.

"And besides if we broke up now, I would lose fifty dollars to Derek,"  Tyler says smugly.

Tyler yelps. "Why did you pinch me?"

"You're lucky I love you, Tyler,"  Izzy says with puppy dog eyes.

And that's my cue to leave because about in five seconds, there will be a very public display of PDA.

But luck is with me today because the bell rings telling everyone to get to class.

"See you at lunch love birds!"

Thoughts?