Chapter 33: Patience my darling

Kate
"Now where are we going, Just Wyatt?" I ask smiling.

"Patience my darling, patience," Wyatt says without looking from the road.

We finally pull into the Dollar Tree parking lot and I follow him inside.

"Where is the bread?" Wyatt thinks out loud.

"Bread? What do we need bread for?" I ask.

"Because I had a dream last night that aliens invaded Earth and we ran out of food. I'm taking it as a sign to stock up," Wyatt says sarcastically.

"I'm going to pretend you didn't just say that," I say fighting laughter.

After Wyatt finds the bread he takes me to the candy aisle.

"Would you like dessert, baby?" I roll my eyes and grab a bag of peanut butter M&Ms.

"Good choice, but I'm in the mood for something sour." Wyatt grabs a box of Sour Patch Kids.

After Wyatt pays we go back to the car.

"Kent, you're killing me!" I exclaim once he starts the car.

"I'm sorry, just a few more minutes, and then you can your hands all over me," Wyatt says, smirking.

I gasp and slap his arm. "You! Are! Horrid!"

Wyatt just laughs.

Eventually, we pull into the parking lot of a duck pond by our houses.

"So, this is what the bread is for."

Wyatt doesn't respond, but he jumps out of his car and opens my door for me.

At this point I don't even say anything about it; it's not worth the energy.

"It's been at least a year since I've been here." Me and Derek would go on a run every day before he got hurt. On our run, we would pass the duck pond.

"Yeah, it's been a while for me too," Wyatt says softly.

"When was the last you were here?"

"The last day of my Freshman year. My dad took me and my mom out for dinner, then we came here to feed the ducks."

I stop walking. "Oh Wyatt, we can leave if it's too much for you."

Wyatt smiles. "It's fine."

We walk over to the pond and Wyatt takes out some bread. Once the ducks see it they swarm us.

I jump behind Wyatt. "Kate, are you scared of the ducks?"

"Yes." I breathe.

Wyatt pulls me out from behind his back, so he can face me.

"You sit on the back of a thousand-pound animal, but you're scared of a little duck?" Wyatt asks, fighting a grin.

I fold my arms over my chest. "I've seen plenty of people attacked by those things."

Wyatt breaks and grins. "Baby, I will be with you the whole time." Surprisingly that makes me feel better.

Wait a second I don't need someone to take care of me.

I take the bread from his hand and throw it to the ducks.

Wyatt grabs my hand. "Kate, look at that family of geese."

"Awe! Look how fluffy the babies are."
I exclaim.

Wyatt lets go of my hand and takes the rest of the bread.

"I'm going to go up them."

"Wyatt, that's a bad idea," I say, cautiously.

He just waves his hand over his shoulder, to shut me up

He walks up to them and one of the parents charges up to him flapping its wings.

Wyatt yelps and drops all the bread as he runs away.

I laugh so hard that I start crying.

Once I calm down, I look at Wyatt who is standing beside me pouting.

"I'm so glad I wore clear mascara," I say, and as I walk over to a nearby bench.

"Too bad, the whole raccoon look would really fit you." Wyatt deadpans.

We sit down and I take our candy out of my pocketbook.

We both eat and watch the ducks swim in the pond.

"You know a duck is like the ultimate animal," Wyatt says, breaking the silence.

I giggle. "Care to elaborate?"

"They can walk on land, swim in the water and fly," Wyatt says, smiling his famous smile.

I sigh. "I guess your right."

Wyatt puts his arm around my shoulders and pulls me to him.

I pull my phone out. "We need to take some selfies so I can post them on Instagram."

Something flashes across Wyatt's face, but before I could tell what it was, it's gone.

"Okay."

We take several pictures, then Wyatt helps me pick the ones to post.

We sit like that till the sun is completely set.
Sitting beside Wyatt with his arm around me felt nice. I didn't want this 'date' to end.

Wyatt drives me home and walks me to the front door.

"Just Wyatt, that was a pretty amazing date."
I say softly.

He smirks. "Do you think it will be one of the dates you tell your grandchildren about?

I grin. "It will be at least top five."

Wyatt laughs.

"Thank you for tonight," I say smiling like an idiot.

"You're welcome. That is probably the best date I've ever been on. Just saying."

Wyatt steps closer to me and kisses my forehead.

In that two seconds, it feels like time stops and it's just us.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Kate."

A whole flock of butterflies erupts in my stomach.

I look up into his eyes. "Okay."

I shut my front door and lean against it, I am in so much trouble.

Something clicks. I like Wyatt and not just as a friend. I like, like Wyatt.

I've been lying to myself for the past few days. These small things, tingle when we touch, the butterflies, aren't normal for me.

I run a hand down my face. I have a huge crush on my fake boyfriend.

Isn't that awesome?

An actual picture from my camera roll!

Thoughts!?

I figured it would be better for the date to be in Katie's POV