Chapter 43: Get your lazy ass up

Wyatt
"Get up!"

"Get your ass out of that bed!"

I roll over and see my mom standing in front of me. I glance at my clock and it flashes 6:30 am.

"Mom, why are you up so early?" I mumble.

She rips my covers off. "Get your lazy ass up because we have a college to tour!"

I sigh and sit up. "Alright, I'm up."

After I shower and get dressed I come downstairs to see my mom packing a bag. "Ma, what are you doing?"

She looks up and pushes her bangs off her face. "Packing stuff."

"We're touring a school, not spending the night."

"I know, but I have stuff to take. See I packed a phone charger, battery pack, sunglasses, crackers, and a notebook for notes."

I shake my head.

"We're taking your car and I'm driving." My mom states as she takes my keys.

There is no arguing with her when she's like this.

"We're going to stop for breakfast on the way." My mom yells as she walks out the door.

I take my phone out for the first time this morning and text Katie.

Me: I'm up before you haha! 😝

Katie doesn't text back till we're eating breakfast. Which is forty-three minutes later.

Why I know that you ask? I stared at my phone the entire time waiting for a response.

Kate: I guess you are. Wow, that's shocking.

Me: FYI I had to wear jeans today because I have a huge black and blue golf ball-size bruise on my leg.

Me: I can barely walk on it.

I'm being a bit dramatic, but it's fun to mess with her.

Kate: If you want I can text your mom and she could kick your other leg.

Me: You text my mom!

Kate: Oh yeah all the time. We talk about you mostly though.

I feel myself smile and chuckle.

"What's got you all smiley?" My mom asks while she cuts her pancakes.

"Nothing," I respond quickly.

"You mean Katie?" My mom asks wiggling her eyebrows.

I just roll my eyes.

My phone buzzes and it's a snap from Katie. I open it when my mom goes to the bathroom.

It's a video of Katie at school.

"Good luck Just Wyatt. Remember just because your touring a school doesn't mean you have to go there. Keep your options open, but most importantly be you."

Tyler's head pops into the frame.

"Hey, Sweet-cheeks remember you're taken. The spot of best friend and girlfriend is already filled."

Katie pushes him out of the way and waves bye.

I laugh and respond to her.
Me: thanks!!

Kate: 😘🥰

We finally arrive after an hour and a half car ride.

"Look how beautiful it is here." My mom says with her eyes sparkling.

We walk to the administrative office to meet Tim.

"Hey kid, glad you could make it," Tim says shaking my hand.

"It's good to be here."

"Now who is this mighty fine lady?" Tim asks.

"Margret Kent, Wyatt's mother." My mom says looking at her phone.

"Ahh, it's nice to meet you. Let's get this tour started.

It takes about two hours to walk the entire school. I can see why Katie likes it here. The campus is amazing and the people are so nice.
I've already met two guys that are on the football team.

Not only is the campus nice, but around town, there are all sorts of things to do. I could see myself living here.

Once we get back to Tim's office he has us wait outside so he can get the board members ready for our meeting.

I sit beside my mom on a bench and she's reading over her notes. It had at least ten questions on one page.

I stare at the door and I feel my anxiety creep in. It felt weird being here without my dad.

Suddenly the thought of moving here makes me ill.

My mom places her hand on my knee to stop me from jiggling it. "Wyatt, I know I'm not your father, but I'm trying. He would have been a lot better at this than I am."

I shake my head letting my anxiety win.

"Ma, I think we should-" I'm interrupted by my phone buzzing.

Kate: I know you're probably busy but I felt like I needed to text you.

Kate: You might not be able to see your dad but he's with you every step of the way. Don't feel guilty about going or not going. Do what YOU want to do, because either way he is so proud of you!

Kate: I giving you a virtual hug lol!

Suddenly all my anxiety melts away and I feel happier.

I look over at my mom who has tears in her eyes. "Wyatt, you better keep that girl."

I guess she read the text over my shoulder.

I chuckle and hug my mom. "There ready for you." Tim's secretary tells us.

I squeeze my mom's hand and we walk into his office.

"It was nice talking to you. I know it's a lot to think about, so take your time in making your decision." Tim says.

"He will." My mom says smiling.

We jump in the car and Mom backs out of the parking lot.

"They made a pretty good offer." My mom says breaking the silence.

"They did." They offered me the head quarterback position and a full-ride scholarship for whatever degree I wanted.

"What do you think about it?" My mom questions.

"I don't know. The school is beautiful and I'll be close to home, but their football team isn't very good."

"Just think about it. Like he said you don't have to make any decisions yet. You might get some more offers."

We're both quiet for a few minutes.

"Your dad would have loved that college."

I glance at my mom. "Really?"

"Of course, he would. They have a huge field and stadium. Their library is amazing and they have tons of places to eat."

Yeah, he would have loved it. He would have told me, "Their football team isn't great now, but you might be the missing piece to bring it together."

"What's Katie doing today?" My mom asks.

"She has a riding lesson."

My mom nods her head. "You really like her don't you?"

I run my hand done my face. "Yeah I do, but it's complicated."

My mom smirks. "So un-complicate it."

I give her a blank look.

"Just don't let her get away. Girls like her don't grow on trees." My mom says.

When we get home I take the keys from my mom. "Where are you going?"

"I'm going to visit someone."