Chapter 38: Just get on his damn back

Katie

"Katie Grace Fleming, did you tell Wyatt that you have never won a Nerf gun war before?" I hear my dad yell as I shut the front door.

Okay, so I might have lied when I told Wyatt that. I know I'm a horrible person but I wanted to win.

I cringe and take a glance at Wyatt. He is frowning. "Maybe," I say quietly.

My dad shakes his head. "I swear she is a cardboard cutout of her mom."

I look at Wyatt. "I'm sorry it's just been a long time since I won last and-"

"Kat, I would stop lying if I was you," Tyler says interrupting me.

I sigh.

"Y'all can catch up with us when your done talking," Derek says smirking. The Icecream shop is only a fifteen-minute walk from our house so we always walk.

"So when was the last time you won?" Wyatt asks folding his arms across his chest.

I don't know if he knows or not but when he folded his arms across his chest it makes the muscles in his arms look twice as big. I mentally slap myself so I stop staring.

"Two games ago," I mumble.

Wyatt nods his head. "Kate, why did you lie?"

I take a deep breath. "I'm so sorry Wyatt I'm not the greatest with apologies."

"I wanted to win to get Tyler back and I thought if you thought I've never won before you would help me." I take a quick peek at him from the corner of my eye and see him smiling a lopsided smile.

"Is the Katie Fleming apologizing to me?"

"Wow, the world must be ending." I roll my eyes at his comment.

"I'm trying to be serious Wyatt!" I exclaim.

Wyatt's eyes soften and he grabs my shoulders.
"I forgive you Kate but I think you have to make it up to me."

I feel my brow scrunch. "What?"

Wyatt puts his arm around my shoulders and pulls me beside him. We start walking towards my family. "I think it is only fair you buy my ice cream after you lied."

"Oh, alright," I say fighting a smile.

"It's good to know that if we're ever in trouble you would turn me over like the flip of a light switch," Wyatt says smirking.

I hit his chest. "I would not!"

Wyatt smiles. "Sure thing. But now you know I would risk my life for you baby."

I roll my eyes. Even though my heart melted at his words.

"I'll have a vanilla cone," I tell the lady who's scoping the ice cream.

I look at Wyatt who was scratching his chin and staring at the Ice cream flavors.

"Come on Kent what are you getting?" Wyatt glares at me and then smiles at the lady.

"I'll have an extra large cup with one scope of Birthday cake, chocolate, cookie dough, and vanilla."

Oh, and some chocolate syrup on top." The lady gives Wyatt a deadened look and walks to the back.

"I'm not even going to ask how that is any good," I say as I lick my ice cream.

I pay for our ice cream and we walk outside to sit with everyone. I sit down at an empty table near Tyler and Izzy. Wyatt sits down beside me.

"Ah, Kate you're missing out," Wyatt says with his mouth full.

I just give him a blank look. "No, I think I'm good. There's no way those flavors go together."