Chapter 9: Watch Me

Another cover design by my talented brother!

Katie
After meeting with Wyatt, I left school and drove to the barn, my happy place.

I didn't have time to ride so I lunged Ripley over some trot poles. When I finished I looked at my phone and saw three texts from Izzy. I forgot to call her after school.

Whoops.

"Katie! You didn't call me," Izzy whines.

"I know, I know but I'm calling you now."

I have her on speaker phone so I can put my phone in my pocket while I untack Ripley.

"Let me guess you're at the barn that's why you forgot to call me," Izzy says dryly.

I roll my eyes even though she can't see me.

"We're else would I be?"

"Hey, while you're there can you throw Remi's blanket on it's going to get cold."

"Sure thing honey. What would you do without me?" I reply with my sweetest voice.

Remi is Izzy's horse, we both board them at the same barn. We even keep them in the same pasture, it's nice because it's a lot cheaper.

"Katie, if I didn't have you then I would spend a lot of money on gas. So tell me, how did it go today?"

I'm dreading telling her because saying that I'm dating Wyatt out loud makes it feel real then I get nervous, which makes me nauseous.
I know I have problems.

She'll never let up till I tell her, so I do, I tell her the whole story.

"Okay, Izzy I'm home I'll see you tomorrow at school."

"Alright love you bye!"

I walk into the kitchen and my brother is at the table eating who knows what.

"Hey, Gracie." Ugh, I always hated that
nickname. Before I was born Derek wanted my name to be Gracie, but my parents didn't like it so they compromised by making my middle name Grace.

Derek didn't like the name Katie and he refused to call me that. Ever since I was born he's called me Gracie.

"Hey, wheels. Make any sales today or did sleeping take up to much time?"

He glares at me. "Well smarty, I had online classes most of the day then I worked on a paper that's due in a week."

Derek is a freshman in college, he got in on a full-ride scholarship.

He played some defensive position in football. In his last high school game of the year, he tore two ligaments in his leg. I can't remember all the surgery's he's had.

The college told him he could do his freshman year online and then move to the campus to play for them his sophomore year.

For the past two and a half months he's been in a wheelchair, hence why I call him Wheels.

"You did even try to make a sale today?" I ask.

"If you don't practice you'll never get better." 

Since school started he's been working as a phone salesman that he can do from home.

"Gracie I'm a good salesman I was busy today." I roll my eyes as I take my frozen pizza out of the microwave.

My phone buzzes on the table. I move to grab it, but I'm too slow.

"Who's Wyatt and why is he texting you?" Derek asks smugly.

I snatch my phone from him. "He's just a friend."