Chapter three - New Kids on the Block

We were already going to be late when Matthew showed up outside my door the next morning.

"Dude, why do you live so far out of the city for?" He complained when I stumbled outside and struggled to lock my door. He sat in his car with the roof pulled down and music blaring loudly.

"You think anyone would like living next door to this?" I say and point to my house as I jog down the stairs. "And it's not like I could just up and move it."

"You could always try," He says and gives me a sheepish grin as he roars the engine.

"What are you even wearing?" I laugh at his bright yellow t-shirt and matching pants.

"Since it's dress-up day in school I'm going to be the star of the football team!" He grins cheerfully. "What are you wearing yourself?"

"My prom outfit" I sarcastically comment and give him a dead look before I climb into his brand new car. He had only gotten it last week after he "accidentally" crashed the last one. Matthew drives like a maniac all the way from my house to Rich Town and I thank the universe that the streets are close to empty, because otherwise, Matt would've lost his license. About five times over.

I was wearing the same jeans as yesterday and a beige hoodie which's arms I had pulled up to my elbows.

"You look just like normal!" Matthew states.

"Oh god no! How horrible!" I say without an ounce of enthusiasm.

Matthew goes on to explain why it is essential that we keep our daily routines interesting. And on some level, I guess I do agree with him. Although I do this by hanging out with Matt, whereas he does this by... Showing up dressed as a banana...

"Dude, slow down!" I laugh as he almost swerves off the road. As a response to this, he pumps the brakes and we both fly forward. There are now some nice black tire marks behind us and he smiled proudly at me.

"What's the point of having this beauty if I can't play with her a little?" He jokes. Despite Matthew's insane driving, a nice black Porsche swoosh past us as we begin driving again, passing the mayor's building. "What the-" Matt says as I try to hold back a 'whoa'.

"Who is that?" I ask in awe of the slick black car.

Music was blaring loudly throughout the open car windows. I could practically feel my insides vibrate.

"Eth, I think you're drooling a little." Matt teases as he gets a crazy look in his eye. I know what this means and it is no good. I push myself further down my seat as Matthew steps on the gas pedal even harder and challenges the other car to race. They respond by revving their engine and we're off, driving around the very core of Rich Town before continuing toward the school.

We arrive at the school maybe one millisecond after the other car, despite Matt's best efforts. Thankfully we slow down before actually entering the school properties. Otherwise, Matthew wouldn't only have the police after him...

"Hey! We made it in time!" Matt grins, but I'm caught in a trance.

Out of the car steps two brown-haired boys, identical twins. The one that had been driving whirls the car keys around his index finger and smirks as the other one steps out from behind his seat and slings an expensive-looking bag over his shoulder. They must be at least as tall as Matthew. If everybody didn't turn their head towards us when we arrived, they sure were now. The two boys stop to wait in front of the car and everybody waits in suspense. From the passenger seat, a third person steps out. One of the twins confidently smirks while the other checks out a couple of seniors. The third person is a girl. I can't quite make out her face, but her entire appearance could make anyone turn into a puddle. She's gorgeous. It is like in the movies when the mean girls come walking through the corridor, and everything goes in slow motion. The girl has blonde straight hair and swiftly makes her way past everybody with the twins in tow.