Chapter seventeen - Pretty Dresses and Happily Ever Afters

When the alarm rings, signaling my big sister's wedding day, I am no way near ready for it. I turn around in bed and cover my ears with my pillow, hoping Diana will shut the damn thing off. Of course, she gladly lets it ring even though she is already running around the room, squealing to herself.

"Good morning sleepyhead! Today is the big day!" She chirps and FINALLY turns off the alarm.

"Harumph," I reply and try to fall asleep again.

"Technically, not 'the' big day. It's Hanneli's big day." She replies and I yawn. "And Evermore's." She says as she puts on her One Direction playlist and starts blow-drying her hair. "The shower is available, by the way."

"I'm tired..!" I complain.

"Ethan come on!" She laughs and literally drags me off the bed so that I land on the floor with a thud. When I look up to glare at her, I am met by my horrific reflection in the mirror behind her.

"I look like shit," I state.

"You don't look that bad..." She says in a not very sincere tone. "No, I'm sorry, you really look horrible. Didn't you sleep at all?"

I make a grimace at my reflection and attempt to wipe away the sleep marks on my cheeks and the dark circles underneath my eyes. It does not work. "I'll be right back," I say and push myself off the floor to hit the shower.

It feels completely surreal. Everything does. My sister is getting married today. In only a few hours to be more precise. I can hear Diana singing along to 'Where Do Broken Hearts Go' all the way into the bathroom, and when I finally get back out she's already styled her hair and is putting on makeup.

"I haven't seen you in makeup for a really long while." I laugh and she sticks out her tongue at me.

"You're supposed to tell me I look pretty." She says bitterly.

"I'll let Matthew do that for you later because you said I looked horrible," I reply with a sassy tone.

"What do you mean 'looked'? Dude, you still look dead!" She laughs evilly "They're gonna have to cut you out of all the pictures."

"Hahaha," I say sarcastically and give her a cold stare. "But seriously, we need to get rid of these dark circles"

"Hmm... I think I know something that may help." She says and starts ruffling around in her room before she leaves and calls "I'll be back in a minute!"

I sigh and pick up my phone to see if I've missed a text from May, but there aren't any. At first, I just toss it away so that it lands on the bed with a small thud. Then it just lays there, screen glowing and I can't quite tear my stare away from it like it would make a message from her appear. It does not. I sigh loudly and toss myself on the bed this time, landing with my face down. Me being able to contain myself lasts for about three seconds, then I pick up the phone and enter our chat. Before I can change my mind, I write 'hey' and close the screen quickly.

"I've read somewhere that this works when you have dark circles," Diana says as she comes up with a lemon cut in half and a proud grin.

"What are you doing?" I say skeptically as she comes closer to me with the citrus in hand.

"Just sit still" She orders me as she tilts my head backward, but I jolt away from her.

"Won't that sting in my eyes?" I question and she gives me a bored look.

"You're supposed to keep them closed, stupid, not bathe in them in it." She says with such certainty that I actually believe her, and before I can change my mind she starts squeezing the lemon. During the first seconds, I don't feel much, but then a little drop finds its way to the corner of my eye and it starts burning. For some stupid reason, I think it might help if I rub it. It does not.