Chapter nine - Peek-a-boo!

It's been maybe a week since the Happy Cat visit. Well, the first one, I mean. We've practically been going there every other day now. I think May's gotten addicted. We just finished class together and are supposed to walk home together. The teacher wanted her to stay behind, though. She wanted to give May a response on a paper she wrote. I walk over to my locker and put my books in their place. I think May understood that it'd be better if we just stayed friends for a while. I pick up my phone and see maybe a hundred texts in the group chat. I only quickly scroll through as I walk into the library.

"So I say, like omg, I just have to get this dress! It is like, omg, the tiniest one here!"

This is the first thing I hear as I open the library doors. The voice is squeaky and could probably cut through glass. They're in the common study area. The room is huge. The roof is high and every single piece of furniture is made of dark wood. Up, high on the walls, just under the roof, there were windows, letting in streams of light. I look around for my friends and I accidentally bump into a shelf. It echoes through the entire room, but luckily, as I walk around the bookcase, I see that we're the only ones here. Diana, Sophie, and Josh are sitting around one of the tables with various books and papers stacked in front of them. I walk closer to them and suddenly I come face to face with the big muscly guy.

"Oh my..." I sigh and facepalm myself as I realize who in fact it is. "Please shut up..!"

"Ooh! What is that I hear?" The squeaky voice continues. "Is it my dear loverboy Ethan! Oh, baby, I'm coming!"

"Oh my goodness what in the world are you doing?" I exclaim loudly at Matthew as he laughs his butt off. "Why in the world are you wearing a ballerina dress?!"

Matthew Hennigan, everybody.

"Where is that pretty little dimply thing of yours?" Matthew teases.

"Manners, please!" Josh scowls and winks at Ethan before adding "Although I can't deny that she is gorgeous."

"Stop it! You know that nothing is going on" I say and Josh looks at me in disbelief as Diana and Sophie enjoy the scene.

"Well, seeing as she's not around... " Matthew laughs and walks over to me in a purposely exaggerated seductive way, swaying his hips and puckering his lips.

"Mm, yeah! Come here, baby!" I play and smack Matt on his tulle-covered butt as he reaches me, which sends everybody laughing and Josh almost falls off his chair.

"Hey," Matthew complains, with a mischievous look in his eyes. "I know you want some, but not like this in front of dear Diana! You know she gets jealous easily."

Now, normally I wouldn't think twice about the fact that he said something like this. Although, seeing as I'm suspecting that they're doing stuff...

"Ohh no!" Diana says mischievously and we all laugh. "I would love to see how this plays out!"

"Yeah! Make him pay!" Sophie joins in. "Maybe you can knock some sense into him so that he'll remember me again" She jokes.

Everybody freezes their actions, and it takes me a second for the words to sink in. Everybody noticed the slip.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that." She says and places her hands over her mouth.

Sophie Alistair. Golden girl gone bad. Sometimes it's hard to remember who she used to be. Then once in a while, she lets it slip. It's been a long time since she's smiled like this. Unfortunately, she also mentioned the subject we've been avoiding since... Forever, it feels like

For a second the mood is horrible, but for the first time in forever the memories begin to resurface. My head hurts... The accident...

"Don't worry Chéri, it's cool," I say in an attempt to lighten the mood. It doesn't seem to work very well though because they all turn their heads to me. What did I say?