Chapter fifteen - Hugs from Matthew

"Idiot..." I mutter. Thanks to the stupidhead in front of me, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

"Well, what the heck did I know? I had just gotten this text from this guy, saying that he was going to nail my sister that night, which was completely respectless, and he had been completely out of control that entire night and had practically forced beer down a girl's throat-" Matthew went on for the one hundred and forty-seventh time today. I scowl at him and continue to eat my pasta. Why everybody was looking at Matthew as though he was showing them how to do magic, I don't know. "And then this bastard tries to take advantage of my baby sister in my own house-"

"Your parents' house," I interrupt and take a sip of water.

He sighs heavily to show off his frustration before continuing. "So, when he then tries to sneak into my sister's bedroom in the middle of the night-"

"Which I DID NOT." I angrily remind him. He glares at me for interrupting again before turning back to the others, looking like the sunshine himself...

"Which he, turns out, did not. But I am just, you know, protecting my baby sister and I punch this bastard that tries to sneak in with her! So really, I am the good guy here!"

I glare at him "But actually, I was just having a glass of water as your sister tries to sneak out to a party. And let me remind you, she is FOURTEEN!. So I just told her that because there was just this big game between two rival schools, any party she would be going to there'd be drunk stupid boys that would probably end up fighting and that it was not worth it. And as thanks, as soon as I've convinced her to go back to her room, He punches me in the face." I laugh humorlessly and then go back to glaring at Matthew.

He gives me a guilty smile and scratches his neck. While everyone else looks at us dumbfounded. Such good friends I have, right?

"Matthew, you stupid, stupid-" Josh starts before erupting into this big laughing pit as if though this was the funniest thing ever.

Sophie cracks half a smile. And smacks Matthew on the back of his head.

"May!" Matthew exclaims as he sees her enter the cafeteria and waves her over.

"Oh my!" May gasps as she sees me before she tries not to smile, as she shows off those dimples... "How did you manage to catch that? Your books hit you?"

"Well, that's a first..." I grumble and continue stabbing my pasta before eating it.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself," She says between laughs, showing off her dimples "You look very cute with your little black eye."

I glare at her before shoving more pasta in my mouth.

"Well, that black eye of yours just adds on to your bad boy reputation." She whispers to me, a bit louder than I'd hoped.

"HA! I told you!" Matthew exclaims happily.

"No, not you too!" I complain, shaking my head at May.

"I'm sorry," She says sweetly and ruffles my hair before she sits down next to me.

"Let me tell you how it happened..!" Matthew starts.

"Oh, come on! Give me a break Matthew before I return the favor!" I growl somewhat playfully at him before raising my fist.

"Be nice!" Diana lectures us and May and grabs my hand and rests it on the table.

Unconsciously she starts playing with my fingers and I intertwine my hand with hers. For a second I forget everyone around me like there's only her and me.