Chapter eight - Happy Cat

"Oh my goodness this place is amazing!" May gasps as we enter the building. The outside is covered in dark brown bricks and looks pretty much like any other building, except for the big purple neon sign with a big purple cat and the letters 'HAPPY CAT'. If it were up to me, I'd say 'The best place on earth' instead. The floors are checkered and the walls are dark purple and bright blue.

"I feel like I'm inside a rainbow" She giggles and strokes her hand on a couple of bright pink, fluffy chairs. "Do you guys usually sit somewhere?"

"Those booths over there are where we sat the first time we went here, but since then I think we've been everywhere." Diana smiles.

"Except... " Matthew says mysteriously.

"Except the orange hearts over in that far corner," Diana fills in and points to two bright orange chairs that look like hands. "There's always this really weird boy that sits over there."

"Every single time we went there, he would sit over there and just stare at us." Matthew continued with a dark voice and shivered.

"And then we heard that he had a sugar overdose, and had been sitting there for many days, dead, without anyone noticing."

"So because of him, we never go near those chairs," I say importantly.

"Because who knows, maybe one of us will end up being that person next," Diana says a little more quietly.

"Oh gosh, please tell me you're not serious. That is horrible!" May says and claps her hand over her mouth.

"Who might this be?" A voice says and the four of us jump.

"Brandon!" Diana exclaims and bounces into his embrace. They hold onto each other for a bit longer than I expected but... I never heard Diana's version of her first breakup with Matthew, but I talked to Brandon a lot during that time though. Even if she did like him back then, it was never reciprocated.

"Who's he?" May whispers to me as Brandon shakes hands with a now very grumpy Matthew.

"May, this is Brandon. Brandon, this is the new girl I told you about, May." I say and he smiles at her. Brandon is the golden boy in a nutshell. He is the kindest, sweetest, most gentle person I've ever met. He's got honey-blond hair and somehow manages to always have a tan.

"Is this dimples?!" He exclaims. Alright, I take that back. He's going to pay for that.

"Dimples?" May, Matt, and Diana say simultaneously. Kill me. Kill me now.

"Of course! Dimples Jones! The girl that he keeps sending duck videos to when he should be helping me clean the tables!" Brandon continues. He then pulls her into a quick hug and leads us over to one of the couch areas. "E, I'm not even going to try and hug you after that one."

"Huh, seems like you've got a brain after all!" I say and lock eyes with May for a brief second. She sends a little smile

There's a classic old carpet underneath and books and candy canes on the table. There are two green futons, a bright yellow poof, and a big pink couch.

"The two of you work here together? It must be the dream!" May says, still in awe of the candy store/ café.

"Yup! Since the day we turned thirteen and my uncle finally paid us to come here and hang around."

"Although, at first he paid us in cookies," I add and Brandon laughs.

"Cookies?" May questions.

"Yeah! Ethan had a permanent chocolate stain on his shirt. And cheek." Diana giggles.