Chapter 21 Part I

It was pitch black outside but Nine kept running. Her abnormal pupils expanded to allow light to travel in her eyes, making running in the dark easier for her but tougher for the other Werewolves that were chasing her as she trespassed into pack territory.

She didn't know how long she ran for or worry about her wounds that were already half healed. All she cared about was getting as far as she could from the pack.

She just couldn't face them. Not when they were scared of her. She didn't even allow her mate to connect with her through the link.

She just...needed time to herself.

Upon hearing a deep growl behind her, Nine sped up and reached the border of the territory before the patrolling wolves could catch her and she would have to kill them in defence.

Once she reached the other side into free land, the wolves came to a halt and so did she. With her lungs burning and muscles aching, she twisted her head back to see the Werewolves snapping and growling at her.

Not bothering with them, she looked away and trotted further in to what was known as Rogue ground. She could smell the familiar scent of the bloody, foul stench of Rogues.

She fit right in.

With her head half down but her eyes watching out cautiously at the few Rogues that were lingering about. They all turned their heads to her when they sensed her dominating presence and kept a wide space around her. Not one daring to get close because even though it had been a couple of months, none of them forgot the Rogue Champion of the arena. It was hard not to.

Walking for quite some time, Nine felt a strange, unpleasant feeling. She looked around the moonlit woods until her eyes spotted a building a few meters away.

Curious, she walked towards it and with every step the feeling got worse and she knew why.

Once she reached the clearing, her eyes peered up at the abandoned warehouse. The very same building where she fought since the day she was born.

The Arena.

Feeling her body tensed and twitched at the memories of being locked up, Nine forced herself to walk to the crumbling building. She spotted the exact double doors that she once stepped out of and now ironically, she was stepping inside. But first she had to break the doors that were barely hanging on to the hinges.

Using her massive body, Nine pushed the cracked door with her shoulder, wincing at the scrapping of the metal door on the ground. Finally getting it opened, she peered in and at the end of the hall she could see it.

The cage in all its glory as the light came from the full moon that shown brightly through the holes in the ceiling. Taking a deep breath, Nine stepped in. Her eyes never left the cage as she walked with soundless steps. Already her memories were pouring in as she got closer and closer.

The sights, the sound, the smell...it was all coming back to her.

Her breathing became shallow.

The Rogues cheering as she fought, the whimpers from the injured opponents and Victor...how he'd watch from his throne with his black, soulless eyes.

Nine spotted a large gap in the metal cage and walked inside it until she was standing in the centre of the arena. Standing in one of the moonlit spot lights, her solemn gaze took in the entire arena. Every fight, every wolf that she killed and it was all for her survival. To think she was going to join a pack, even after everything she did.

Did she deserve it?

She didn't know.

Dried blood was still everywhere along with its metallic stench mixed in with the dust that lingered in the air.