Chapter 6

“If y-you do-n’t want to be res-respon-sible for each and ev-ev-every m-member of your p-packs death, then I-I s-suggest you pre-pare that ro-room.” Dexter stuttered but his tone was serious.

He would love to let Nine free but the possibly of her losing control and slaughtering everyone in sight was too high. Especially when this was their chance to finally join a pack that could possibly protect her from Victor.

Nobody moved as a thick atmosphere feel upon the room.

Dexter felt he just ruined their chances and was about to speak when suddenly Slade growled loudly. Everyone watched as he abruptly stormed out the room but only one had deadly intentions after noticing the Alpha having a weak moment.

A vulnerable target – perfect for a predator to prey on. Nine’s eyes gleamed dangerously as she stared at the door the male left through.

Sighing, Paul rubbed his forehead before taking over.

“Ryan, go make the preparations.” He said almost tiredly.

Hesitantly the Beta moved to leave the room but Dexter’s voice made him pause.

“If po-possible, could you get a l-large en-enough truck to fit N-Nine in? S-She won't sh-shift to hum-an.” Ryan’s brows dipped and looked to Paul for confirmation. He wasn’t exactly comfortable treating his future Luna so lowly but when Paul nodded, he didn’t have a choice and walked away.

“Is that all?” Paul asked, hoping that it was but when the man looked down timidly he knew it wasn’t.

“C-Could you cl-clear the path for Nine? Sh-she’s tra-ined to kill any wolf that she s-sees.” Dexter explained grimly.

Paul shook his head in disbelief. What was Victor thinking?! Using her like a weapon.

All he had to do was look at Nolan who nodded his head and moved to the exit.

“Very well. Nolan will clear a path and then you will walk her to the truck.” He said and then turned away. Paul had to do what Dexter thought was best. Hopefully the she-wolf would learn to trust others but for now, he had to go find his son. It must be hard on him knowing that his mate does not trust him or show any signs of feeling the pull.

Paul sent a silent prayer to the Moon Goddess, hoping that this will all end well.

Back in the room, Nine turned her attention to Dexter who was opening the lock on the door. She found it strange because she was so used to walking through the trap door that lead to the arena. Never once had she been let out from her cage except that few times her master took her to his lab as Dexter called it – Nine couldn’t pronounce the long one.

“They said we are joining a pack.” Nine spoke and watched her friend pull the door wider. “Do I have to fight there to?” she asked curiously.

Dexter paused and smiled grimly. “No. Rem-member how I to-told you about p-p-packs pr-protecting each other.” He moved inside the cage and reached to unlock the shackles on her neck and legs. “We will f-finally ha-ve a-a home. No m-more fighting.” Just as the last silver chain dropped to the ground and Nine took her first step outside the cage she spent her whole life in, Dexter whispered, “You’re free, Nine.”

Nine stared at her friend. Her eyes then glided to the floor as she took her first steps until she was completely out of that concrete box. She felt an indescribable feeling in the pit of her stomach as she looked back at the cage. Even her body felt different now that the restraints were off. It’s been over fifteen years since she was first chained.

Her mind was still puzzled as she tried to piece things together. Nine didn’t know how to feel but placed her trust in Dexter.

“Come.” he placed a hand on her shoulder and moved towards the exit. Her senses picked up everything, her heart began to pump faster making Nine more agitated. She was not used to this, she felt almost…scared. Dexter kept whispering comforting words as they moved to a hallway lined with smaller cages on either side.