Chapter 24

I was technically going to put a filler chapter but that would mean I have to write more so I just squeezed it together and now prepare yourselves!! Kekeek!!

***

A week had passed since the first injection of Wolfs Bane. It had been seven days since Nine was her curious, bubbly self. Now, there was only word that could describe what Nine had become – a robot.

For her – she barely noticed the change because all she could care about was that the beast was dimmed. His power and strength diminished as if it were locked away. For her it meant no more killing – just like she promised Slade. She would always keep her promise – especially the ones from her mate.

While Nine walked around with a lack of interest in everything, Dexter, Tori and other pack members kept a close eye on her. She never left a room without someone knowing where she was at all times. Their Alpha was not taking another risk. It pained him to see his mate suffer and he could do nothing but watch.

Though Dexter did try to convince him to spend time with Nine in hopes that his presence and the fact that they were mates would mean that Nine might be able to fight the drugs symptoms and turn back to her normal self.

Instead, Slade chose to spend every second he could to find another way to destroy the beast. He was determined to separate the two, to find something – anything. He followed up on any lead, researched on the oldest records he could get his hands on. Ryan and Nolan and a few other trusted warriors were at their Alpha's beck and call.

Whatever he needed, they would get it.

Dexter worried for him. He saw signs similar to Victor. His obsession made him stray from what was important. Searching for answers could destroy a man. He was thankful though, that Slade had his strong willed family.

They forced him to eat and sleep and to allow his subordinates to rest. But no matter how much they tried to convince him to take a time out, Slade would not give up. He wanted Nine to live normally, wanted her to stop living in fear of Victor and the beast.

There was a reason why the Goddess paired them up and Slade damn well wasn't going to prove her wrong. Nine was his mate and he'd protect her with his life. She was his everything.

"What's the news from the council?" Slade asked gruffly, eyes trained on the old, leather-bound book.

Nolan rubbed his eyes tiredly and answered his Alpha. "They'll send someone to drop off what you requested but they are beginning to wonder why you want the old records."

Slade growled lowly. "There are somethings they need to stay out off."

Nolan stayed quiet. The door opened to reveal Ryan. He smelled heavily of coffee but his body was exhausted and it showed in his sluggish movements.

Slade took no notice of his friend and roughly asked, "Where's my mate?"

The Beta looked puzzled. "I thought Dexter already asked you?" he said unsurely and turned to Nolan for confirmation but all the Omega did was widen his eyes and shake his head.

"What do you mean?" Slade snapped, eyes clouding black.

Ryan gulped. "H-He was taking Nine for a walk in the woods. Thought the fresh air could help and so he could talk to her and get her to open up."

Fists clenched and jaws taught, Slade was shaking in anger. He specifically told the pack that Nine was not to leave the pack house. Not with her being so vulnerable.

Trying to control his rage, he took deep breaths and shut his eyes. He thought of Nine and how being locked up would suffocate her since she loved being outside.