Chapter 23

Stretching his arms out above his head, Slade groaned and opened his eyes. Tilting his head to the side to gaze at his adorable mate, he frowned when he saw empty sheets. Sitting up on his elbows, he turned his head to the open door – frown deepening.

It was almost nine o'clock and Slade could hear a few people downstairs. Getting out of bed, he put on a pair of pants, over his boxers and quickly jogged down the stairs. He tried contacting Nine through their mark or even trying to find her location but no such luck. He didn't like that it was becoming a common occurrence to not be able to link with her. It terrified him.

Feeling uneasy, he searched through the house – asking everyone that crossed his path. And with every person, his panic intensified.

Not a single person saw Nine and Mason and his mutts were gone.

Slade spotted one of his warriors that patrolled in the morning. He grabbed the man roughly by his arm and pulled him close to his face.

"Did you see Mason leave?" he said gruffly.

The frightened and confused man nodded his head furiously. "We escorted them to the borders, Alpha!" he exclaimed.

"Did you see who was inside the cars?"

The warrior shook his head. "No, the windows were heavily tinted. We didn't bother to check because we thought that they would all leave-" Slade narrowed his eyes at him – equally scaring the man, "I-I mean why wouldn't they leave, s-since it's not their pack." He stated as if it is was obvious.

Letting go of his collar, Slade asked him one more question.

"Has it ever occurred to you that they might have taken something or someone?" He stressed out the last word and the man paled.

"O-Oh no..." the man whispered.

Slade grabbed his collar with both hands. "What do you mean, oh no?!"

"I-I'm sorry Alpha! I didn't think much of it that the Luna's scent was on the car!"

Slade roared viciously and shook the man. "If I find out that my Queen has been hurt because of you and the other members' sloppy security then do expect strict punishment." he hissed in his face, dropped the man and turned to storm away with no clear direction.

Slade's thoughts haunted him. Nine being kidnapped by Mason was just not possible! Then how could he have done it?

Something was right.

His mate could easily take on Mason and his warriors if they tried to kidnap her and they searched their belongings for anything suspicious – like Wolfs Bane because Slade wouldn't put it past Mason to do something shady. She also wouldn't go willingly with them without telling him because they trusted each other. Their bond was strong so Nine would never think of going with him and yet....

Like a sharp jolt, Slade remembered Nine's words.

'I-I don't know what's happening b-but I think I'm changing'.

Changing?

Slade stilled, his face losing colour.

N-Not possible! It couldn't be!

"SHIT!" Slade punched the nearest wall in anger. Forgetting the hole, he bolted to the infirmary where he slammed the door opened – frightening Dexter in the process.

"Al-pha Slade!" Dexter exclaimed and stood up from his desk.

"Is there a possibility of the beast controlling Nine's body?!" Slade practically shouted – eyes wide with panic and distress for his mate.