Chapter 7

ADAM

At home it was just like I had expected. Lucy sat before the fireplace on a couch, watching me arrive. And all the sugarra powder that came with her was now all over the floor, furniture and everywhere possible. Of course she tossed it all over the place. And getting rid of it was becoming a problem. I stepped carefully, trying to keep myself from it's aura.

"You always ruin all the fun," said she then.

"In that case you'll better leave."

"C'mon! You're my little bother. I think we should instead spend some more time together. Like the old days." She didn't really meant it. Lucy just likes to get on my nerves. I didn't answer.

"You should think more of yourself. You're so scared that I will give out our secret, but you know how I always take care of things. As for you, you're driving through the city with a human girl, probably telling her how the things are. How can you be sure she won't tell anyone?"

"If she does, we'll be gone here."

"Interesting. You are usually the one who thinks things through more carefully. We'll just leave? That's your answer? You should have killed her when you had the change. If not take her energy, then killed her the old-fashioned way. Like you once did."

Now this memory hit the soft spot.

"Can't you just leave me alone? Why did you come here at all? For years you haven't showed out any interest. Why now?"

"This house belongs to me as much as it does to you. And you were the one who disappeared after all. How do you know I wasn't interested?"

I rolled my eyes. "Like that would be hard to guess," I mumbled.

"You're right." She stood up. "I'm going upstairs." Then she glanced over the room. "You might wanna clean up a bit here." After that she was gone.

KETLIN

When I woke up, I wondered how I had slept so long. It was almost 2pm. At least it was Saturday. And all yesterday seemed to take place somewhere deep in my dreams.

As soon as I got up, my cellphone rang. It was Janely. She wanted to know if I and Sara got home. I told her that I had found Sara unconscious from the woods and got someone to help me take her to hospital. I wasn't going to tell the truth, of course.

I stayed at home the whole day. But when mum wanted to go to mart, I offered myself to do the job. I wanted to get some fresh air. The weather was nice and warm, though a bit cloudy. I didn't hurry, thinking my own thoughts.

When reaching the mart, I saw a familiar face. It was Kairi.

"Ketlin? Hey!" she called, when saw me. I went over to her. "I heard that you were there when I was found in those woods. I wanted to thank you," she said.

"So you got out from hospital?"

"Yes. I didn't have any injuries or anything, and I was feeling well. They had no reason to keep me there."

I nodded. And then I remembered something. "I heard about what you had seen in those woods."

Kairi sighted. "Nobody believes me anyways. Maybe I just imagined it all."

I shrugged my shoulders. "Who knows. But you have no idea who it might have been?"

"I don't know," she said. "Whoever it was, if I didn't imagine it, he or she might not even have anything to do with what happened to me. Maybe I just got sick."

"I suppose the doctors can't say what was wrong with you?"

"No, they didn't find any problems. But I have never felt anything like this before, like in those woods. Nausea was just awful."

I think it was probably good that she didn't know any more. Would Lucy be a bigger threat for her if she knew? Or Adam, if he was lying.

Kairi took a glance at her watch. "I must go now. Again, thank you. And see ya," said she and walked away.

All the rest of the day I also spent inside the house. And so the next day. But at evening, a bit over nine o'clock my cellphone rang. It was Janely again. She said that Sara had woken up. But she wasn't really like herself, very nervous instead. And asking for me. But she didn't tell anyone the reason. So I decided to go to hospital. Janely promised to pick me up.

At the hospital I found Sara completely conscious. Janely left us two alone, as Sara wanted to talk to me. I went beside the bed she laid on. Sara seemed relieved when seeing me.

"Hey. How are you doing?" I asked her.

"My head is a bit messed up. Besides that I'm fine." She smiled.

"That's good news." I was really happy she was fine and recovered that fast. "You wanted to see me?"

She nodded. "Remember what Kairi had said? That she had seen somebody in the woods. I thought that she might have talked the truth."

"Why?" I asked immediately.

"I went to the woods to rest for awhile. Then I saw someone coming towards me. I thought that it was Marcus, but instead it was a blond girl who I had never seen before in my life. Something in her presence gave me creeps and I wanted to go back," told Sara. I didn't know what to say. She continued.

"She came after me and held on to me. When I wanted to pull myself away, she grabbed my neck. I have no idea what she did next, but suddenly I felt so sick that I wished I was dead. And just before it all went black, I heard someone else coming." She stopped to look into my eyes. "It was you," she told me. "And that's all I remember."

"Are you sure? Maybe you drank too much?" I made some efforts to lie.

"I didn't drink that much at all. I was't even drunk really. I have no idea who that girl was or what she did to me, but I do know that I saw you. What happened there?"

"Sara, I found you unconscious. I didn't see anyone." I tried to sound as confident as possible. I felt like I shouln't tell her the truth, but I hated lying to my best friend. I hope I did the right thing.

Sara thought about it. "I don't know. I was sure I saw you. But you don't think that I'm lying about the rest? This can't all be a coincidence."

"I really don't know what happened." And I really didn't like to say that.

Silence.

Janely opened the door and peeked in. "You still talking?"

"You can come in," said Sara.

"How long will you stay here?" I asked Sara then.

"I don't know yet. The doctors haven't said, but hopefully not for long anymore."

We stayed there for a while more, till Janely said that she has to go. She asked if she can give me lift and so we left.

Janely took me in front of my house, then drove away herself. It was already completely dark outside. I started to go inside, when I thought that I heard something. But I didn't see anything.

"Ketlin."

I startled and turned around.