Chapter 10

KETLIN

I really hope that this problem with Lucy is now over. And that Sara will be safe.

After doing my homework, I found three of those bags with sugarra powder from my schoolbag. I started to wonder, if I need them anymore. But I still left them there.

Next day at school I stood outside at the second recess. Sun was warm and rain that had been the last night had made air so fresh. Soon I noticed Adam coming towards me. It was the first time he didn't make me flinch.

"Are you fine?" he asked.

I nodded.

"I'm sorry I have brought you so many troubles."

"I't wasn't all your fault."

He didn't answer.

"Adam, I was thinking that if you're almost three hundred years old, then why do you go to school at all?" I have been wondering about that for awhile now.

"So people wouldn't start to notice I'm different. I'f your education is from eighteenth century, it's not so easy to blend in."

"Have you been moving around the world alot?"

"Pretty much. Just half a year ago I lived in Italy."

"Italy? Can you even speak that language?" I was amazed.

He smiled. "Of course. I've had enough time to learn languages."

I thought about it for a moment. Was Adam even from here, Estonia? "Adam, where were you born?" I asked then.

"In London."

"Really? Was life there good three hundred years ago?"

"I can't really say that. At least from my position. Our father owned a big mansion and he was well known in society. But he was also greedy, over-ambitious and didn't care much about others. Our mother died when I was two, so I can't remember her much. And our father always expected too much from me. More, than I was able to give." It was hard to understand if he hide any negative emotions.

"But don't you miss him? I mean, when you don't age, it must be hard to see people close to you die."

"No, I don't miss him. And he never got old. Lucy killed him a few months after becoming a deemotay."

"Oh." I stayed silent for awhile. "Was Lucy like this as a human too?" I asked then.

"Lucy was a great sister, actually. I could always count on her. But becoming a deemotay can change your personality a lot. And actually, many years ago I wasn't much different from her." With this last sentence, I'm sure I noticed a small change of mood.

"But this was a long time ago?" I asked silently after many long moments.

"I haven't hurt a human in hundred and eighty two years."

I calculated it fast. So he has had the same lifestyle as Lucy does for ninety eight years. I really couldn't imagine it.

"But... How do you become a deemotay?" I asked then.

He looked me into eye, smiling. "You're very curious girl."

I shrugged my shoulders.

"Well, first a deemotay has to take as much energy, that it almost kills the human. But before that person completely loses consciousness or dies, deemotay has to turn the process upside down, meaning that this deemotay has to give energy from itself to the person. But if you give too much, the human will die. And I'm not sure if you have heard how it feels, when energy is taken from you?"

I nodded. "Sara told that she had wished to die."

"Yes. And if you're given energy, this feeling gets times worse."

I nodded again. "OK."

"More questions?" he asked.

"Um... Maybe some other time. I have to think some new questions first. And we should probably go back inside now."

"Okay then. Want to go first?"

I stared at him in confusion.

"I don't think it would stay unnoticed to your friends if we go together," he explained smiling.

"Oh. Um.. See ya then." I really didn't want to go through all that explaining if my friends would see me with Adam. So I thanked him in my mind for that.

When I got home later that day, our house was quiet. Mum was at work. Then I remembered that my granny was coming here today. I guess she wanted to talk to me.

I waited for two hours, when someone finally knocked on our door and granny came in.

"Hey," I greeted her. "Mum said you would come."

"I was going to visit an old friend and passed by," she said, taking off her coat. After that she went to the living room and sat on our couch. I went with her.

She watched at me silently for awhile before saying anything. "What happened to your necklace?" she asked.

"Oh, you mean the chain? It accidentally broke, so I had to change it."

"Okay. But it had to be something strong to break this chain," she mentioned. "But you probably guessed the other reason I came here."

I nodded.

"I found some people who can kill deemotays. And they're willing to help us. They have been in this town for three days now."

"R-really? Have they found anything?"

"With their special equipment they have detected two," said granny.

"Have they seen them?"

"No, not yet. But they're good at this job."

I tried to smile, look like I'm relieved. "I'ts good then."

"Ketlin, are you alright?"

"Yes, of course."

She nodded. "And I heard about your friend who also was taken to hospital and had no injuries. Is she fine?"

"She got home two days ago."

"That's good. And don't worry. It'll all be over in about a week."

When I was alone again, I went to my room and sat on my bed, grabbing around my knees with my arms. I wondered, if Adam knew that they were been chased. I should tell him as soon as I can. I couldn't let them kill him. None of those deaths were his fault.

I felt somehow different, when thinking about all that. Then I started to wonder, if his innocence was the only reason I didn't want him to be killed.