Chapter 21

KETLIN

Not only this house, but also the surrounding was really nice. The biggest problem was the language, but Adam helped me with that. People here don't speak English that much.

We've been here for about a month now. Not even once I have picked up the subject about changing me. But I did hear him talking to Lucy about it one night. It was only for a moment when I heard them, because they probably realized that I was listening. But as much as I understood, Lucy had been right. Adam could't do it with me. But it didn't seem to be the only reason. And then there was something about hard self-control.

While staying here, I learned more about relationship between Adam and Lucy. Lucy was more the dominating type and often pesky to Adam. But it still seems she doesn't want anything bad to him. As for Adam, he almost always keeps his eyes open for Lucy. And then it sometimes seems, like he is ignoring her completely. But at the end, I think they both care about each other.

That day it was warm and the weather was beautiful. I was laying on a deck chair, in Adam's arms. I felt his breathing on my neck. A few times before I had noticed that he doesn't breathe at all. Finally it started to seem somehow creepy, so I asked him about it. Turns out that deemotays don't need to breathe. He usually did, because that way people around him won't notice anything weird. And he also told me, that in some weird way, they can still smell when they aren't breathing.

After that I asked him to always breathe, when he is with me. Because, to be honest, it somehow felt like I was with a warm corpse.

What more time passed, that less homesick I felt. I did miss Sara and my other friends alot. I can't even remember, when was the last time we saw each other. What do they even think about me being missing? What are people talking in my school? When I disappeared at first, it wasn't notified to the police. But mum had to tell something to my teachers. And Sara now knew about deemotays. Does she have a hunch of what might have happened? I have thought about calling them. But first I have to know, what they know. And maybe come up with some lie.

"What are you thinking about?" Adam asked, bringing me back from my thoughts.

"Nothing special." I turned my head to look into his grey eyes. Adam smiled and kissed me softly.

"What your nothing-special thoughts are then?" He spoke quietly with his captivating voice.

I smiled. "Let me keep some things to myself." For a while I just looked into his eyes, while he was playing with my hair between his fingers. "Can I make calls to home, or do you think it'll be too dangerous?" I asked then.

"I think you can. But I'd rather first get you a new cellphone and number, just in case."

"Thanks," I said, and then we enjoyed each other's company in silence. I don't know how long we were there. I also can't remember getting sleepy, but suddenly Adam woke me up.

"Your mobile is ringing," he told me.

I tried to listen but didn't hear anything.

"I'll get it," he then said and gently carried me off him. Then he disappeared. After a few short moments he was in front of me again, my cellphone in his hand. "It's your granny," he said.

I took it and answered the call.

"Ketlin? You must tell me where you are," she said in a hurry. She sounded nervous.

I frowned. "Why? I thought..."

"I know, but I'm afraid that Siiri has found out where you're staying."

Adam was now also confused. "How?" I asked, rising my voice.

"I'm not very sure. It's possible she has asked help from professionals. She left to airport today morning."