Chapter 11

KETLIN

I was laying on my bed. It was now a bit over 6 o'clock. I knew those longer workdays that mum had. She won't be home before midnight. Which means I have to be the whole day alone. I still thought about what granny had said. It'll be all over in about a week.

At one moment I just stood up, took my jacket and went outside. I started walking, but I wasn't sure where.

I made it to the town end, where I saw forest on one side and smaller houses on the other side of road. I went along the pavement, until I stopped at a start of a trail that was leading to the forest. It was the same trail, where I one night met Adam. Something tells me, that he is the one I actually came here for. But will going to the woods help me find him? Still, I headed that way.

While my thoughts were wondering, I didn't at first notice how someone was standing in front of me, maybe about six metres away.

"Who we have here?" asked Lucy with a smirk.

I froze in place. "What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Guess." Her sly smile made me shiver. And I didn't even start to guess.

"By the way, I like your necklace. Can I try it?"

"I won't take it off." Did she think I'm that stupid?

She rolled her eyes. "Don't worry. I promised Adam I won't hurt you." Then she cave me a sudden serious glance. "But what are you doing here?"

Something made me answer, before I could even think the question through. "I had to tell something to Adam."

"And you just hope to see him here?"

"I don't..."

"And what is that you had to tell him?"

I didn't answer.

"What did you had to tell him?" she asked again, like forcing me.

It was hard to resist answering now. "There are people in this town who are looking for you and want to kill you," I burst out. Then I frowned. What was Lucy doing to me?

She became suddenly even more serious, staring at me. "How do you know that?"

I began to answer again, but then shut my mouth. I couldn't let Lucy know about my granny. But I was afraid I can't hold my mouth shut any longer.

"How do you know that?" she repeated.

"Lucy, stop that," I heard from behind me. Right away I felt relieved, when the force was gone. Adam came between me and Lucy.

Lucy rolled her eyes again and sighed. "Did you even hear what she said?"

"No," said Adam.

"She said that killers are in town. Those people, who hunt us."

Adam looked at me in confusion. "Ketlin, how do you know that?"

"That's what I wanted to know," Lucy interrupted.

"I... I can't say. But they have been here for three days now and they plan to kill you both in a week's time." I felt like I still had told too much.

"And of course you wouldn't fight against Adam," said Lucy.

"I didn't make her answer," Adam protested.

"Of course not. Girl is in..."

"Lucy..." Adam interrupted her.

"What are you talking about?" I asked finally.

Adam turned to me again. "I can explain later, but now... Are you sure about what you said before?"

I nodded.

He wondered about something. "Wollemia," he said then. "They must use this to cover their signal."

"Don't worry. I can track wollemia," said Lucy.

Adam raised his eyebrow, looking at Lucy in surprise. "You can?"

"Sure. Unlike you, I need to worry about those things. I learned to do that more than a century ago. It's not easy, though."

"Okay then. Find out more about..."

"Yeah, I know what to do." Lucy rolled her eyes.

"And Lucy... Don't try to do anything stupid," Adam warned her.

"I'll try," Lucy sighed, then disappeared into thin air.

"So... What did Lucy did to me before?" I asked, when we were alone.

"She made you answer, as you may have noticed."

"Have you ever done that to me?" I wondered.

"No."

"But I sometimes feel like..."

Adam didn't let me stop. "It also happens when human has a crush on deemotay."

"Oh." I hope I didn't blush.

"Anyway," he changed the subject, "Lucy starts to get suspicious. You seem to know too much about us. And now this?"

I sighed. "I couldn't say how I know about all this because I was scared of Lucy."

"If you hide anything from her, she'll find truth out sooner or later."

"Hum, maybe I can tell you. Maybe you'd know what to do?"

"If you trust me, but..." He looked around us. "But not here."

"Where then?"

"We could go to my place. But it's too far. And I don't have my car near this time."

"But you can just disappear or something?"

He shook his head. "No, it would be too exhausting for you."

"But what about my house?" I asked then. "There's no one there at the moment."

My home it was. We walked the whole way in silence. But it wasn't far way to go, so we were soon there.

"So you trust me more now then?" Adam asked, when I unlocked the door.

I almost didn't even think before answering. "Yes." Adam smiled and followed me inside.

When inside, I told him everything I knew. I even told him about my granny. It's better to tell him, than to wait for Lucy to find it out first.

"It's possible your granny knows more than she has told you. At the time when deemotays were in Estonia, people here didn't know about sugarra," said Adam. "Can you show me the box she gave you?"

I led him to my room, where I took out the box from the bottom of my drawer. I then opened it and showed to him. He took a long step back, holding more than a meter long distance from it.

"Sorry," I said and put it on my table.

When he saw that box more carefully, he seemed to recognize it, as he became really serious. "Only one organisation uses those. And they don't just give them for free or sell them."