Chapter 9

KETLIN

I had just woken up and got myself ready. Then I went to kitchen, where I saw mum sitting and drinking her coffee.

"Morning mum," I said.

"Morning. And hey, I'll be longer at work tomorrow. Your granny will stop by here somewhere in that time. Just to let you know."

Granny? I wondered if her psychic powers had somehow showed her what had happened here. And happened to me, as I have talked with Adam. Or should I tell her myself?

When I reached school, Janely and Eva were the first ones I saw.

"Hey Ketlin!" they greeted me.

"Hey."

"Are you okay today?" asked Eva.

"What do you mean?"

"You were so silent yesterday. Did something happen?"

"No, I'm fine. Don't worry." I didn't know they had noticed it.

"If you say so," said Janely. "But did you hear that Sara got home yesterday night? I'm not sure if she'll come to school tomorrow. I wonder what it is that causes deaths and faintings like this."

"Yeah, creepy," Eva agreed.

"Sara got home? Didn't she happen to remember what had happened to her?" I asked it just in case.

"Unfortunately no," said Janely.

I wondered if it would be safer for Sara to be at home or in hospital. But I hope she'll be fine.

Adam wasn't at school again. And has Lucy come back? I tried not to think about it, but I still did. After the lunch break I went towards our biology class. The door was still locked, so I just waited. There was no one in this corridor. My heart stopped beating for a sec when Adam suddenly appeared in front of me.

"Lucy is trying to cover her tracks. I'm afraid she might go after Sara," said he without waiting for me to calm down.

After being startled like this, I didn't immediately understand what he had said. "Wait, what? She goes after Sara?"

"I'm afraid so. She might have waited till Sara will be alone. Can you drive a car?"

"Um, yes."

He handed me his car keys. "It's in front of the school. Take it and pick up Sara. Tell her anything, just make her come with you and take her to the town sqare."

"But I don't have driving licence..."

"Just do it. I'll go look for Lucy." After he had said it, he was gone again. Disappeared into thin air. I just stood there for a sec, trying to understand what had just happened. Then I ran as fast as I could in front of the school and looked for Adam's car. I saw it parked on the closest lot. I opened it, sat in and turned it on. I managed to drive it away from school without any accidents. And I really hoped police won't catch me. I also drove faster than the speed limit allowed. Luckily I reached  Sara's home fast and without any incidents. Then I came out and ran towards her door, knocking it several times.

I didn't have to wait long till she opened it. "Ketlin? What are you doing here?"

"Sara, we must go," I burst out.

"Why, Where?"

"Remember that I had to explain something to you? I'll do it, but you must come with me, now. And hurry!"

"Okay, fine. Why you're in such panic?" She put on her footwear.

"Better step back," I heard someone telling me. We both filched ant turned to look towards the voice. Sara almost screamed and I froze. It was Lucy.

Just when she started to come closer, Adam appeared behind her and pulled her back. "Go now," he shouted me.

I grabbed Sara's hand and pulled her towards the car. We both ran and when I had sat in, I saw Lucy tore herself free, then hit Adam, tossing him inhumanly far from herself.

"Oh, God," I heard myself whispering. While turning the car around, I saw Adam again catching up with Lucy again. Then I drove away.

"Ketlin, what is going on? This was the girl I saw in the woods," Sara said terrified.

"I'll tell you everything. As soon as we get there."

"Where?"

"The town square," I said.

"Why there?" she wanted to know.

"Adam told me to."

"And you believe him? He... just appeared there..."

I didn't answer immediately. "Yes," I said then.

"He's like that girl, right? Not a human," asked Sara after a short silence.

"Yes," I said quietly.

We got to the town square. I just left the car on the side of the road, then we hurried to the square. Not many people were here at this time of day.

It was a small circle, few benches around it. In the middle there was a long flagstaff. I tried to understand, why this place, when I noticed something. The ground was covered with light grey stone. But the center, circle with about  eight feet radius, was dark grey. Sugarra? Sara followed me there.

"Now you have to explain some things," Sara insisted.

I sighed. "Okay." And so I told her what I knew. How I learned about deemotays and what had happened when I found Sara with Lucy. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you before," I said at the end.

Luckily she wasn't mad at me. "At least you did at all. Gosh, I thought those things will happen only in Hollywood."

"Oh, great. Whose idea was to use that in here?" I heard a familiar voice and looked on my right, where I saw Lucy, keeping about a meter long distance from the circle. Sara wanted to run, but I didn't let her.

"She can't come here," I told her.

"Just leave them alone, Lucy. Please." Adam showed up.

"Back already?" Lucy rolled her eyes and turned to his brother. "What is it with those humans and you? You should know better what has to be done."

"And you should know what will happen when you do anything to them," said Adam, sounding very serious.

Lucy laughed at it. "Really, I thought you were kidding. When handing me over, you'll be gone also."

"I wasn't joking."

For awhile they were both silent, staring at each other's eyes.

"Okay," said Lucy then. "But one word, and you're dead." This last one was meant for Sara, but possibly also for me. And then she was gone.

"Is it over now?" I asked, breaking the silence that had taken over again.

"I know her pretty well, but I'm not completely sure," Adam said.

"What did you mean by handing her in?" I wanted to know.

"There are people who know more about us and know how to take us down," he said. I recognized a slight sadness note in his tone.

"Why are you doing this?"

"It's between me and Lucy. Will I take you two home?"

I looked at Sara. She hesitated for a moment, before nodding. First we drove back to Sara's place, then Adam took me home.