Chapter 14

KETLIN

"I just happened to hear them talk," she said. "But do you know where Adam is? I couldn't find him anywhere in the village or near this place." She pushed herself away from the wall and came towards the table. "And this old man won't talk to me."

I frowned my eyebrow. "You looked for him in such big area?"

"Of course not," she laughed. "I don't need him that much. Just wondered where he'd be."

I still didn't understand. "I'm not sure, where exactly. He's covering his tracks or something."

Lucy looked at me quietly for a moment. "I'm glad you took that necklace off. It really disturbed me."

Just now I remembered how Lucy had wanted to kill me. And just recently had tried to kill Sara.

Lucy laughed at my look. "Okay, see you later. I can't stand staying here for too long." She walked pass me, disappearing just few moments later.

"You don't have to be scared of Lucy anymore," I heard an old man's voice from next room, as Sam talked.

"How do you know Lucy?" I wondered.

"I know them both, Adam and Lucy, for long time now. At first Lucy can look wild and so, but she has a good heart, though she often keeps it locked up. But if you mean anything to Adam, she won't hurt you."

I thought about his words, thinking if what he told me was true. "But if Adam comes back, will they leave Estonia?" I asked now quietly, scared of the answer.

Sam appeared at the doorway, looking at me with his wise looking eyes. "Even if he does, he'll come back. He will come back for you."

"Are you sure?" I asked doubtfully. "Adam told me that his theory about this... animal-energy-stops-you-from-hurting-your-loved-ones thing might not work."

Sam smiled, almost like trying to relieve me. "It works, trust me. And Adam knows it." He turned around again, to go, but then looked at me over his shoulder. "You don't have to stay inside the whole day. You can go out through the backdoor and have a walk in the forest or by the lake." Then he left me alone again.

ADAM

A little before the Russian border I left my car besides the road near the crossroads. I stepped out, holding one of Ketlin's T-shirts in my hand, that I had taken from her house without her knowing. Hopefully she doesn't mind. I needed it if the killers would use dogs.

I started walking in the forest, when my cellphone rang. I didn't recognize the number.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Adam Langdon?" a woman's voice asked.

"Who is asking?"

"A family here wants their daughter back. We know it was you, who took her."

"Ketlin will come back and be fine. I can promise that."

"Fine?" voice asked a, bit unsure.

"Yes, completely healthy, still a human and additionally against her own will." I knew they were tracking this call.

"I don't know what you're planning, but this girl must be back home soon. I recommend to do it now and we'll be easy on you."

"Thanks, but I'll choose to do things my way," I said and ended the call. Awhile after that I detected three cars coming closer and pull over by the road. They had tracked me down pretty quickly and sent the closest killers to look for me. It just took me a moment to appear again, about a kilometre away from where I was before. Then I kept on walking.

KETLIN

Like Sam advised, I decided to go on a walk after my breakfast. Sun was warm and the weather was nice. Trees had young green leaves, which was a sign of beautiful spring. I found a trail, which led me through the forest, and finally I found myself by the lake that Sam mentioned. It's smooth surface was shining in sunlight and I enjoyed the view.

Soon I saw Lucy walking towards me. "I heard what that old man told you," she said.

"And so?"

She shrug her shoulders. "It's just hard for me to understand where he takes it all from."

"You're saying he lied?"

At first she remained silent, thinking about something. "No," she then said. "And that's the thing. Sometimes it feels like he knows even more about others than others know about themselves." She said it like I've never heard her talk before. Somehow mild or... friendly.

"You then think Adam will come back?" I asked quietly, but full of hope.

Lucy smiled. "You really love him, don't you?"

I stared at the lake.

"I'm not sure," she said then. "But I think he will. Even if he at firs doesn't promise it to himself."

It took awhile when a smile finally came to my face. "So you have a heart," I told her.

Lucy sighed. "I sometimes regret it. Sam and Adam convinced me to live on animal energy, while I'm staying here."

Despite of what she was talking about, the way she told it sounded funny to me.

"But I'll try to get back him," she added. By her tone, I'm thinking she didn't really mean it. Maybe Lucy wasn't so bad, just like Sam told me. But yes, I can't ignore the fact that she was killing people.

The next day the weather was more windy and cloudy, sometimes it even rained. So I spent the day inside. In the evening Sam told me, that police had found his car. I still didn't know anything about Adam. As for Lucy, killers had lost her track by now.

Later, when it was already dark outside, I was sitting in the kitchen, listening to radio. And I was completely bored. I heard someone coming.

"Hey, Ketlin," I heard a familiar voice. I turned around immediately, wrapped my arms tightly around Adam.

"You wanted to see me so badly?"

I hugged him as strongly as I could, but it didn't seem to disturb him. "I had no idea how long I will have to stay here. And what will happen to you."

"They lost my track finally. Now we have to wait for a while, to make them think they can't find us."

"And then you'll leave?" I assumed, my voice was sad.

Adam took a deep breath, his gray eyes looking at mine. "I have to go as far as possible, so they can't find us. And before going home, you'll have to stay away from me at least for four days. It's for your own defence. That way they can't use you."

Silence came between us, my head resting on his shoulder. I knew it was for the best, but I didn't want to be away from him. "Okay then," I finally answered.