Chapter 15

KETLIN

I had to spend many more days in this house. But I was scared of every next one. I was scared of that moment, when I'm told that Adam has to leave. I tried to look calm and believe, that this isn't the last time when I see him. Many times I went by that lake. It helped me stay calm.

I didn't get in contact with Lucy that often anymore. She was often away, I'm not sure where. But more and more she started to seem as a normal person, not some kind of mythical killer.

I spent as much time with Adam as possible. We often went walking together or we just talked. Adam filled me with some myths, how deemotays are believed to appear to this world. One of them was about a demon worshipper, who got possessed by a demon. For some reason this demon couldn't leave this body anymore, and to get more strength, it started to feed on people's energy. It's not known for sure if it was true or not. But from all the legends, he said this is the most logical one.

He also said that long time ago there were also tigers and wolves, who were deemotays. And this wasn't a myth. But all of them were killed my so called human-deemotays, because non-deemotay humans could use them easily to learn more about them.

We were walking in the woods together, enjoyng this warm day. There was a question bothering me, so I finally decided to ask it.

"Who changed you?" I wondered.

"Esmeralda Dove," he answered. "She was in obsession with me. Wanted to spend an eternity with me."

"Was she your girlfriend?" I asked then.

"No," he laughed, but sounded quiet again when continued. "Esmeralda did everything, to get my attention. Even though she was very beautiful and desired by many, she wasn't my type. My father was really angry, when I told him I don't like Esmeralda, because she had a very rich family." He sighed. "And when I finally told Esmeralda, how things are, she got even more mad than my father did. She told me she'll give me the whole eternity, so I'll have time learning to love her. It was then, when she held me with inhuman strength and started to take my energy, when I realized who she was. Back then people in London knew about deemotays."

I thought about his words. "But how did Lucy change?" I asked then.

Adam sighed again. "I did that."

My eyes widened. "You?"

He nodded. "It was about a month after Esmeralda changed me, and then I hated her even more. I hated what she had done to me. I still lived in my fathers mansion and did my best to hide who I now was. When Esmeralda realized, that I wasn't going to love her, she wanted revenge. She came to our place, revealed to Lucy and my father that she and I were deemotays. Then she took a sword, that we had as a decoration, and stabbed Lucy. I made it there in the last moment. Despite of the pain, I took a sugarra stake and stabbed it through Esmeralda's heart. When I saw what she ha done to Lucy, who was barely alive, I decided to change her."

"And your father was there to see this all?"

"Yes," he said with a smile. "I had to bend a fire hook to tie him to the wall, so he couldn't try to kill me."

I stopped walking when I suddenly heard an odd sound, coming from somewhere near us. "What was that?" I asked.

Adam stayed besides me. "Wild hog," he said. Then I looked where he did and saw a huge hog just few metres away from us. There seemed to be small piglets behind it. I shivered, but Adam stayed calm.

"Maybe we should go back," I whispered. Adam nodded. I turned around, but when I moved, I heard the pig started making loud noises again and suddenly charged at us. I jumped back and was startled. But all Adam did was to raise his hand. The pig ran into it, started shivering and next moment it collapsed. It was dead. Adam stepped away from it and looked at me. I still didn't move or say anything.

"Are you okay?" Adam asked.

I nodded. "Of course." It was the firs time I had seen him, or any deemotay, kill someone. Animal or not.

"Should we go back?"

I nodded again. "Will that just stay there?" I pointed at the hog.

"I'll take it away later." Then we headed back towards the house.

At the evening, when I watched TV in the living room, I saw Lucy at the doorway. He called Adam, and I had a feeling that something was going on. I went after them, but when I made it to the doorway, they disappeared. I then went back and waited for a long time, but they didn't come back.

I went upstairs to my room, where I turned in my cellphone to see, if I have any messages. There were twenty eight of them. I slowly read them all. Tears wanted to come to eyes, but I held them back. Messages were mostly from my mum and granny. They said how much they love me and how concerned they were about me. They hoped for my call and wanted me to return home. I suddenly felt homesick. But I was afraid of what will happen if I return there. I wanted to call them so badly and let them know I'm fine. But I couldn't do that. I put my cellphone away.

When I went downstairs again, I heard Adam's voice.

"Sam, I need to talk to you," he said.

I quickened my pace.

"Come," I heard Sam from his workshop.

When I made it downstairs, I saw Adam. He looked at me shortly and went to the workshop, closing the door behind him. At this moment I wished for stronger hearing.

I sighed and went back to living room. There I saw something familiar on the table. I went closer and took it in my hand. It was my necklace. A small heart with a piece of sugarra in the middle. I stood there and stared at it. I knew, that Adam has to leave. And as they all were avoiding me at the moment, I put on my jacket and footwear and went outside. I slowly walked by the lake. The sun was going down, making the view really beautiful. But I barely could hold my tears back.

Sun was almost gone now, when I heard someone approaching.

"Ketlin, are you okay?" Adam asked quietly.

"You must go now." It didn't sound as a question, as I hoped.

He came next to me. "Killers stopped looking for us. You're the only one they want now."

I wanted to say something, but nothing came to my mind. "When will you go?" I asked then.

"Now," he answered.

I felt dizzy suddenly. It's much sooner than I had hoped.

"You'll return home after staying with Sam for four days. You'll show your family that you're fine," he added quietly, while he studied my face carefully.

I looked at him, tears now pouring from my eyes. He stepped closer, wiped away my tears. Then he kissed me and for a moment I forgot everything.

Then he looked into my eyes again. "Bye," he whispered and stepped away. When he disappeared, the sun also fell behind the horizon.