Chapter I: C Minus

"What is this young man?" Chi-Chi's motherly voice boomed. Her eyebrows were downcast into an more than angry expression, and her lips were smushed into a straight line. "Since when do you bring home a C minus?"

Goten blinked briskly. "Well, I um—" he swallowed harshly while staring at the test paper in his mother's hand. He inwardly cursed himself for leaving his books out on the desk. The big, fat, red C sat proudly at the top of the lined paper. He picked at the skin on his thumb, mentally groaning. "It's just one quiz mom..." he muttered.

The test paper floated to the ground as Chi-Chi's hands flew in the air. "One quiz? Just one quiz?," she thundered, "don't give me that crap, Goten." She huffed, crossing her arms. "While it might be 'just one quiz' a C minus can detrimentally effect your GPA. No son of mine will be flunking highscool."

Goten sighed. Chi-Chi was the typical overbearing Omegan mother who wanted nothing but the best for her kids. Yet, sometimes she cared too much about her sons' lives. In an almost controlling manner. Gohan often joked it was because she had to make up for their father's obliviousness.

"I know I'm hard on you, but I also know what I'm doing. Just look at your brother! He's the spitting image of a beautifully educated man." She tilted her head. "Don't you want to be like that? Intelligent and bright?"

Goten sighed once more. "I guess so," he answered half-heartedly, "sorry mom. I won't disappoint you again."

Chi-Chi nodded. "Thank you, son." She bent at the knees to retrieve the test paper from the floor. "What made you drop so low on a quiz anyways? Especially a science quiz, you're a whiz in chemistry!"

Rubbing the back of his neck, Goten tried to think of an excuse. He certainly couldn't tell his overprotective mother "I was with Trunks all night, who was trying to drown himself in liquor so I didn't get any sleep". That would go over like a fart in church. "I-"

"I hope it wasn't that Valese girl. She's cute for a female Alpha, but I think she's a distraction. Not to mention her head is like a hot air ballon with no—"

"It had nothing to do with Valese, mom." Goten interrupted, rolling his eyes. Valese often came over to hang out, but they were nothing more than friends. Of course, she had a wild crush on Goten, but that's all it would ever be... a crush. For Goten, Valese was the perfect cover for his real relationship with Trunks. Not that Chi-Chi would ever know that, or at least not anytime soon. "A few kids behind me were whispering during the entire quiz and I couldn't focus, that's all."

Chi-Chi hummed. "Well then I suggest you ask the teacher to move your seat." She placed both hands on his shoulders. "Don't let anyone stop you from graduating at the top of your class, alright?"

Goten smiled glumly. "Yes, ma'am." He leaned forward and rubbed his nose against her scent gland. "Love you, mom."

Chi-Chi warmly grinned. "Love you too, honey. Have a great day at school."

"I will," the teen said, "oh! And I'll be a bit late for dinner tonight. I have debate club practice until 5:30. We're going against our rivals here soon, and have to be at the top of our game."

"That's fine, practice well."

Goten nodded and turned to leave. He threw a hand up while walking out the door. "Say bye to dad for me!"

"Okay, sweetie!"